That girl's ticker

baby growth

Sunday, May 17, 2009

13 weeks - spreading the news

Its been a big week for telling the world we are going to be parents. First off, I called my Mum and Dad on Wed night. Mum was really happy and said she'd been quite worried about me. I guess she figured we were trying and was worried how we would cope if we didn't succeed. I really appreciate the fact that she didn't put any pressure on over the last 12 months.

My sisters were also really excited. I remember how excited we all were when my brother announced he was having twins, and how different it felt seeing them and knowing they were blood relations. Its not the same as friend's children - somehow it feels different, and I suppose that's how my siblings are feeling about having a new niece or nephew. Sister number 3 said she hoped it would be a girl. My brother was probably the most excited of all of them because it means a little cousin for his sons. He was already picturing it 15 years down the track when our child is 15 and his are 20 and all the mischief they will get up to - that made me laugh!

On Thurs night I called my oldest school friend and she also was over the moon. In the past year, we'd had some awkwardness because she kept calling and asking was I pregnant yet and it really upset me, to the point that I avoided talking to her. Anyway, she's very excited for us. I felt a bit bad because she's having some marriage troubles and could probably have done with a sympathetic chat from me, but she's been talking to friends who live near so that's good. With any luck, she'll take a break from the kids and husband and come and stay with us for a weekend. I think it would do her the world of good.

She asked me did we need to do IVF and I lied and said no. Not sure why, just didn't feel like going into it with her over the phone. Perhaps I'll tell her when we next spend some time together.

Then on Friday, I broke the news to work people. I was feeling a bit nervous about it but it was fine. I told my two joint line managers and they were both really happy for me. They didn't seem to be concerned about losing a team member. I guess I'm not indispensible :-)

I work with quite a few young Gen Y'ers who are not married and don't have kids and I didn't expect them to be very interested but they were all very happy and asking questions as well. I guess a baby is just news that makes everyone happy.

Sat night, we went to a friends house for dinner. She is 6 months pregnant with her first child and it was nice to share the news with them too. There was another couple there with the woman 7 months, so it was teetotaling all round for the women. The woman in the forth couple is a friend of the hosts who I have met a few times before. She had told me in the past about their troubles trying to get pregnant. She wasn't drinking and I really hope for her sake that this means she also is pregnant in the early stages. She was so kind and happy for us, and I just hope that she will be sharing her own news soon. I know that sometimes I took it hard when I heard about other people being pregnant and I tried to put on a brave face, so I hope she was feeling ok.

I made a big effort to steer the talk away from baby stuff so that we didn't bore everyone, but pregnant women really have a tendency to veer onto the topic. I know I just want to talk about it all the time but I'm pretty conscious that's its dull as ditchwater if its not happening to you.

And today, I bought my first item of maternity clothes. I've been really struggling with the wardrobe lately. Many of my pants don't fit and although I can still get into my jeans, they are getting very tight now too. Its the waist line that's done it - I don't think there's any baby in my 'bump', just fat! The maternity shop was pretty good - lots of clothes, but so much black!!! I don't want to spend the next 6 months in black. I might have to make some clothes I think. I bought a pair of grey cargo pants and I've got them on now and they are so comfortable. Its such a relief not to have anything tight around my midrif. I think stretchy dresses are the way to go for the winter, and then I'll have to think again what to do for the last trimester, which I'll be doing in spring when its getting warm again. I also think online shopping is the way forward - way more choice.

Other than all that, things are going along fine and I am feeling good. We even resumed our sex life this morning after a month's break after the threatened miscarriage. We both felt ready for it and everything was fine. Next obstetricians appointment tomorrow and much easier now they know at work and don't have to wonder what all the doctors appointments are about!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It’s a great feeling sharing good news with people who are genuinely excited for you.

I just ordered some belly bands over the net (I’m 15 weeks). Not sure if they will work, but the concept sounds interesting.

Angela