That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, May 21, 2009

14 weeks - what will we call it?

Now that we've cleared all the major hurdles and it really looks like we are going to have this baby, we've started talking about names for her/him. LH reckons he should choose the name for a girl and me to choose the name for a boy, and we both have final veto on the choices.

He's had his girls name picked out for years - its Zoe. I am happy with that and we both agree that its a good strong name for a girl. The boys name on the other hand is not so easy. I've got lots of choices but he has rejected most of them.

First I wanted Jack and LH said that was fine, then he changed his mind. Then we decided William but he doesn't like the idea of me calling the kid Billy! I've got a little list beside me of the possibles and it's pretty short. We are thinking about Leo at the moment - must be something about those short names. The surname starts with W and is 7 letters long so a short first name is probably a good thing.

Anyway, its a big responsibility.The poor kid has to live with it their whole life. We don't like made up names and both prefer the more traditional names but even though I've read loads of lists of boys names, I can't find many I like. I told LH he has to have a back-up girls name, in case she pops out and Zoe just doesn't seem to fit.

And we've decided not to tell anyone about the names we want before the birth. Its too easy to get negative reactions because of course everyone's got an opinion.

I had my 14 week obstetricians appointment this week. I am starting to get to know him now after two visits and he seems a very nice man, very laid back which is great. He felt my tummy and also used a doppler to listen to the baby's heartbeat. It took him ages to find it. He even got me to roll onto my front to try and get E3 to move around a bit so he could hear it. I was getting more and more nervous as he kept feeling around and he must have realised, because he told me not to worry, it can often take a while to locate the heartbeat at this stage.

Finally he found it, and E3's little heart was pounding away as usual. Its very reassuring to know everything is still fine.

He also took my blood pressure, which was 100/50 - its always low but that's even low for me. Guess I must be feeling very relaxed by now and certainly no danger of hypertension at this stage.

The appointment only took 15 mins and I suppose that's all they will be for a while. I've also got every appointment booked until D day in November - monthly until Sept, then fortnightly until Oct, then weekly until the end. I think safe pregancies are all about constant monitoring and hopefully that's all it will be.

I am feeling fine. Still no sign of any real bump. My tummy sticks out more some days than others and I'm sure its due to bloating. Otherwise, no symptoms to speak of. This pregnancy thing is pretty easy :-) Famous last words probably!!

No comments: