Monday, May 11, 2009
We've cleared the last hurdle
Today I got the results from the FastDNA test for the chorionic villus sampling. It came back all normal. What a big relief it was to hear that. I wasn't nearly as stressed as waiting for other results because I knew the chances of a chromosomal problem were very low, despite the fact that I am 'old'.
But it just feels so incredible to have cleared that last hurdle on our way to having a baby.
So far, we've managed to get eggs in the IVF cycle, get fertilisation of those eggs, have embryos to implant and still three left in the freezer, get implantation, see a heart beat at 7 weeks, have a normal 12 week ultrasound and now finally a normal number of chromosomes. Little E3 is well on his/her way to actually being born now. If this is the steeplechase I envisaged last September, we've just cleared the last jump and all we have to do now is run to the finish line in November - yay!!!
The FastDNA test only looks for abnormal numbers of chromosomes X, Y, 13, 18 and 21, so it is possible that there could be other chromosomal problems, but they are incredibly rare. The doctor told us the Fast DNA test would give us 99% certainty that things were fine. When the lab completes the karyotyping test to actually have a look at all of the chromosomes in 10 days, we will know with 99.9% certainty that things are ok.
Everyone knows about Down syndrome resulting from three copies of chr 21, but I was curious to see what syndromes were caused by the other ones.
Too many copies of X in males (they should only have one) causes Klinefelter syndrome, which basically means the person is sterile. Not enough (1 X) or too many (3 X) in females causes Turner syndrome where there are also problems with the sex organs.
Too many copies of either 13 (Patau syndrome) or 18 (Edward's syndrome) causes severe mental and physical retardation. The babies often don't survive long after birth.
I am glad we had the test done, although it was stressful both having it done and waiting for the results. I've been feeling fine - just some fresh blood on Sat morning after the test, and then some old brown stuff since then but no cramping at all.
Now there's nothing stopping us from telling the world that we're 'up the duff'. To be honest, it feels a bit daunting. Its been nice to have this big secret that only a few people know. As soon as the news gets out, we will have to deal with the reactions of everyone else.
I am especially looking forward to telling my family. I think they will all just be so delighted. I'm not looking forward to telling work. I can't really explain why but I guess ultimately it just means hassle for them. I'm sure they will be happy for me but it means they have to work out how to cover my position while I'm on maternity leave.
Speaking of maternity leave, the Fed govt have just announced statutory maternity leave for all mothers in Australia. Only problem is, they've delayed the start for two years, so I will miss out. Oh well, its not like I was expecting to get anything. I think its a great idea and about time we got with the times in this country.
But it just feels so incredible to have cleared that last hurdle on our way to having a baby.
So far, we've managed to get eggs in the IVF cycle, get fertilisation of those eggs, have embryos to implant and still three left in the freezer, get implantation, see a heart beat at 7 weeks, have a normal 12 week ultrasound and now finally a normal number of chromosomes. Little E3 is well on his/her way to actually being born now. If this is the steeplechase I envisaged last September, we've just cleared the last jump and all we have to do now is run to the finish line in November - yay!!!
The FastDNA test only looks for abnormal numbers of chromosomes X, Y, 13, 18 and 21, so it is possible that there could be other chromosomal problems, but they are incredibly rare. The doctor told us the Fast DNA test would give us 99% certainty that things were fine. When the lab completes the karyotyping test to actually have a look at all of the chromosomes in 10 days, we will know with 99.9% certainty that things are ok.
Everyone knows about Down syndrome resulting from three copies of chr 21, but I was curious to see what syndromes were caused by the other ones.
Too many copies of X in males (they should only have one) causes Klinefelter syndrome, which basically means the person is sterile. Not enough (1 X) or too many (3 X) in females causes Turner syndrome where there are also problems with the sex organs.
Too many copies of either 13 (Patau syndrome) or 18 (Edward's syndrome) causes severe mental and physical retardation. The babies often don't survive long after birth.
I am glad we had the test done, although it was stressful both having it done and waiting for the results. I've been feeling fine - just some fresh blood on Sat morning after the test, and then some old brown stuff since then but no cramping at all.
Now there's nothing stopping us from telling the world that we're 'up the duff'. To be honest, it feels a bit daunting. Its been nice to have this big secret that only a few people know. As soon as the news gets out, we will have to deal with the reactions of everyone else.
I am especially looking forward to telling my family. I think they will all just be so delighted. I'm not looking forward to telling work. I can't really explain why but I guess ultimately it just means hassle for them. I'm sure they will be happy for me but it means they have to work out how to cover my position while I'm on maternity leave.
Speaking of maternity leave, the Fed govt have just announced statutory maternity leave for all mothers in Australia. Only problem is, they've delayed the start for two years, so I will miss out. Oh well, its not like I was expecting to get anything. I think its a great idea and about time we got with the times in this country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hurray for you and E3! I'm happy to read that things are all going well and none of your worries have come to pass. Reading your story is reassuring, and I appreciate your sharing it with me. We didn't wait too long. We will be mommies too!
Post a Comment