That girl's ticker

baby growth

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Children - how not to worry????

I wish I knew. I think I've launched into a lifetime of worry about Zoe.

The first worry is focussed on whether she's gaining weight, but I just know that once we conquer that one, another one will take its place. I guess parents just find a way to balance the worry about their children with not driving themselves insane :-) I'm sure LH and I will learn how to do it too.

I am really hoping that the current regimen of 7 feeds a day, and 6 expressing sessions is doing the trick with Zoe's weight. I am now at the stage where almost all of the extra 30ml she is getting in the bottle at each feed is expressed breastmilk.

So I feel less worried that I don't have enough milk for her. The Motilium seems to have helped me and even cutting the dose to 2x 2 tabs a day hasn't meant a drop off in production.

She's still a bit lazy about sucking. We have to wake her for most feeds, and given the chance (which we do overnight), she wakes after about 5 hours voluntarily for a feed. I am persuading her to suck for about 25-30 mins each feed, but she gets a bit half-hearted about it by the end.

Hopefully as she gets bigger and stronger, she will get more demanding.

I am completely focussed on the next weigh-in tomorrow. I think she will have gained weight but the question is, how much? Ideally, she would have gained 100 g - spot on target at 25g/day. But my goal is that she will have gained more than the 44g she gained last time we weighed her.

I'm aiming for small, winable achievements. I still don't know how we are going to get out of this expressing/top-up/waking feed cycle, but hopefully the lactation consultant can help us with it.

Or mabe the little madam herself will start to dictate how things progress. At the moment, it still feels a bit like I'm force-feeding her.

No comments: