Monday, November 30, 2009
The breastfeeding saga continues...
Today I went to the breastfeeding support group. I had to go to another suburb because they don't run it at my Early Childhood health centre but at all the surrounding ones on different days of the week.
It was very good because the nurse sat down with me and watched the whole feed to check how things are going. Previously, everyone has watched Zoe latch on and then concluded everything was fine.
The nurse asked could I feel a strong drawing sensation, which I can't. She then got Zoe to suck on her gloved finger. She concluded that although Zoe does suck, its not a very strong one so she is probably not very effectively drawing milk from me.
This is what I had suspected as well. Part of the problem is I can't get her to open her mouth really wide so she can take a big mouthful of breast. She was doing this early on but we seem to have lost it along the way. The nurse said Zoe might have got used to just opening a small amount and drawing the breast back in. This works to an extent, but isn't as efficient as having a really big mouthful of breast.
So the nurse suggested I try a different hold, which is sometimes good for changing bad habits. She showed us how to do the 'football hold' where I put Zoe under my arm. She also showed me how to use my opposite hand to shape the breast into a flat shape, which is easier to force into her mouth. I was doing this initially but had stopped because I thought we didn't need it anymore.
Anyway, it seems this method did result in Zoe getting a much better mouthful because I felt the sucking as a much stronger sensation this time. Back home, we tried it for the next feed and the other two things I noticed were that she pulled off of her own accord after 10-15 mins, which is something that she hasn't done to date. Perhaps she had drained the breast for the first time?! The nipple after she sucked it was also wider and more full in shape, much more like it looks after using the breast pump.
I could also hear more gulping sounds and the muscles behind her ears were moving as well, showing that she was using her whole jaw to suck.
I hope this will improve things and make sure she takes more from the breast. It should also stimulate my nipples more, thus increasing milk production.
I am still very determined that we will get the hang of this thing but my god, it requires such huge determination and perseverence. I've read in some of my 'baby bibles' that breastfeeding can take up to 3 months before it becomes smooth sailing, so I guess we aren't doing too badly.
There were some other Mums there today getting help, and I can count myself lucky we don't have other issues. They were struggling with bloodied nipples and excruciating pain and I really take my hat off to them for persevering through that. Whatever issues I've had, at least I haven't had real pain to deal with.
The other tip the nurse gave me was about expressing. She said it was best to choose particular times of the day when I plan to do it, and then express at these times consistently. I guess my body will get used to the routine. That seems good advice, so I will be aiming for early morning, mid-morning and late at night if I can. These are the times my supply is greatest.
The nurse also suggested we could consult a speech pathologist that specialises in babies. They can teach us exercises to improve Zoe's suck apparently. I am going to see how things go for the rest of the week, and at the weigh-in on Friday before we go down that road.
So we keep hanging in there and hoping things will get better. I am not ready to quit breastfeeding yet, so that's a good thing at least.
It was very good because the nurse sat down with me and watched the whole feed to check how things are going. Previously, everyone has watched Zoe latch on and then concluded everything was fine.
The nurse asked could I feel a strong drawing sensation, which I can't. She then got Zoe to suck on her gloved finger. She concluded that although Zoe does suck, its not a very strong one so she is probably not very effectively drawing milk from me.
This is what I had suspected as well. Part of the problem is I can't get her to open her mouth really wide so she can take a big mouthful of breast. She was doing this early on but we seem to have lost it along the way. The nurse said Zoe might have got used to just opening a small amount and drawing the breast back in. This works to an extent, but isn't as efficient as having a really big mouthful of breast.
So the nurse suggested I try a different hold, which is sometimes good for changing bad habits. She showed us how to do the 'football hold' where I put Zoe under my arm. She also showed me how to use my opposite hand to shape the breast into a flat shape, which is easier to force into her mouth. I was doing this initially but had stopped because I thought we didn't need it anymore.
Anyway, it seems this method did result in Zoe getting a much better mouthful because I felt the sucking as a much stronger sensation this time. Back home, we tried it for the next feed and the other two things I noticed were that she pulled off of her own accord after 10-15 mins, which is something that she hasn't done to date. Perhaps she had drained the breast for the first time?! The nipple after she sucked it was also wider and more full in shape, much more like it looks after using the breast pump.
I could also hear more gulping sounds and the muscles behind her ears were moving as well, showing that she was using her whole jaw to suck.
I hope this will improve things and make sure she takes more from the breast. It should also stimulate my nipples more, thus increasing milk production.
I am still very determined that we will get the hang of this thing but my god, it requires such huge determination and perseverence. I've read in some of my 'baby bibles' that breastfeeding can take up to 3 months before it becomes smooth sailing, so I guess we aren't doing too badly.
There were some other Mums there today getting help, and I can count myself lucky we don't have other issues. They were struggling with bloodied nipples and excruciating pain and I really take my hat off to them for persevering through that. Whatever issues I've had, at least I haven't had real pain to deal with.
The other tip the nurse gave me was about expressing. She said it was best to choose particular times of the day when I plan to do it, and then express at these times consistently. I guess my body will get used to the routine. That seems good advice, so I will be aiming for early morning, mid-morning and late at night if I can. These are the times my supply is greatest.
The nurse also suggested we could consult a speech pathologist that specialises in babies. They can teach us exercises to improve Zoe's suck apparently. I am going to see how things go for the rest of the week, and at the weigh-in on Friday before we go down that road.
So we keep hanging in there and hoping things will get better. I am not ready to quit breastfeeding yet, so that's a good thing at least.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment