That girl's ticker

baby growth

Monday, February 8, 2010

D&C - resetting the system

Today I saw the obstetrician about the findings of my ultrasound. He said that since we want to get pregnant again soon, the best thing to do would be to have a D&C to get rid of the tissue in my uterus. I feel comfortable with this plan because I really don't want to take any chances with our precious frozen embryos.

He said that the tissue wouldn't necessarily prevent me from getting pregnant but it was best to be sure when it came to IVF. He also said it would not have been interfering with my cycles and was surprised that the first period I had at 7 weeks didn't flush it all out. He also thought it was unlikely to be left over from the caesarian because it was easy to make sure all the placenta was gone during the surgery.

Anyway, regardless of how it got there, its coming out this Friday. Fortunately for me, the in-laws are still visiting so they will be able to look after Zoe while I am having it done. It will only take 3 hours from start to finish, including recovery and I'll be having a general anaesthetic.

Apparently it takes about 6 weeks for periods to come back afterwards. I am undecided about whether to keep breastfeeding or not. I'm really curious to see if my milk supply comes good once that tissue is removed. I might keep breastfeeding for another 6 weeks and see if my period comes back on its own, and then stop if it doesn't.

In any case, we are a few months off starting our next IVF cycle and I think that's probably a good thing. One of my friends who has had a D&C after miscarriage said that anecdotally she and quite a few other women got pregnant soon after, as it kind of 'resets' the system. Who knows, perhaps we will conceive naturally.

As for our beautiful little girl, she is going really well. At the moment, she is going to bed at 7pm and sleeping until 2am when I wake her for a night feed. Then she sleeps through to 7am. I am finding this routine far less exhausting than when she was having her last feed at 10.30pm and waking at 4.30 or 5am. I think this is because it means I get two cycles of deep sleep, instead of being woken up just before the second deep sleep, which most adults go into at about 5am. Anyway, it works for me.

She still won't sleep much during the day but yesterday she managed 2 hours from 9-11am and then this morning, she woke in the middle of that sleep and put herself back to sleep, so she is starting to get the hang of moving from one sleep cycle to another - hurrah!

In any case, I know I am very lucky to have such a contented baby. Some of the other mothers in my mothers group are still waking up several times a night for feeds, which is very hard work after 4 or 5 months of it.

I'm starting to feel a bit bored by being at home and am starting to get mentally prepared to take on some freelance work. I think I am almost at the stage where I can manage it - another couple of weeks should do it. I am really looking forward to using my brain and getting back into some work again.

1 comment:

Lisa Miles said...

Good luck with everything. I went through 13 inseminations and know how hard it is. :)