Thursday, February 25, 2010
A family holiday and final closure on the pregnancy
We've just got back from 5 days in the Southern Highlands with LH's parents. We had a lovely holiday with 3 generations of his family. LH really enjoyed spending so much time with Zoe.
She is now much more interactive and very attentive of everyone around her. Its just lovely to sit her on our lap and have a good old chat to her. She is making lots of talking-like sounds and if this is anything to go by, she will be a regular little chatterbox. She was a little angel while we were away, dealing well with being shunted around on day trips and the like. So far, going on holiday with her is a breeze, as long as we plan it well!
One day we set out walking to the nearest town to go to a cafe for lunch. It turned out to be further than we expected and I didn't take a bottle because I thought we would be back sooner.
Anyway, she fed from the breast but wanted more, which I didn't have. Unfortunately, we were a 30 min walk from home, so we set off with her in the Baby Bjorn, screaming her head off from hunger and being hot and tired. Eventually she dropped off to sleep some time during the walk and then was fine once we got her home and fed.
But its a good lesson for me - be prepared!! Note to self - always carry milk for next meal and plenty of nappies, just in case.
Today I went to the obstetrician to follow up on my D&C. He said that there was indeed left over 'products of conception' in my uterus, which he removed. He showed me photos of what they looked like. Its a relief that it has all now been cleared away.
I noticed almost immediately after the D&C that my milk supply went up. I do regret that we didn't know this sooner, and even that it happened at all, but its too late now. Even if I wanted to wean Zoe off the formula, I'm now at the point where I am almost ready to stop breastfeeding so my cycles can return to normal and we can start our frozen IVF cycles. Oh well, at least she has had 4 months of breastmilk, even it if hasn't been 'exclusive'.
And the best news today, I weighed and measured Zoe and she is doing fantastically well. She is now 5.9 kg, which means she has exactly doubled her birth weight. This is spot-on for 4 months. She is also 63 cm long, on the 75th percentile, so quite a tall young lady.
So all my worries about her weight have been finally laid to rest and I won't weigh her again now for at least a month, if not longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment