That girl's ticker

baby growth

Monday, March 1, 2010

The start of weaning

Yesterday I took the first step towards weaning Zoe off the breast. We never did manage to achieve exclusive breastfeeding and she now has 5 bottles a day with 150 ml or 180 ml, which is well over the recommended amount for her weight. So the breastfeeding is just an added extra really.

I dropped the 3pm feed so that she now has breastfeeds at 7am, 11am, 6pm and the night feed. Because my supply has always been a problem, I didn't really notice not feeding her at 3pm. This is when my supply is lowest anyway, and it had the added benefit of there being more milk for her at the 6pm feed.

I will do this for a week, and then drop the 11am feed and see how we go. Its all part of the plan to try and get my cycles back to normal so we can launch into our frozen IVF cycles as soon as possible.

Its such a lottery knowing when my period will come back. For some women, it comes back even when they are breastfeeding, and some it takes well over 6 months. I hope we don't have to wait months and months for it to come back, but who knows?

I am starting to notice more cervical mucous again so I am hoping that things are starting to get back to normal. The obs said the D&C would not have affected my cycle because the ovary drives the cycle. It would just mean a lighter period if I was to have one any time soon.

I'm sad to be stopping breastfeeding but I think I would have felt like that if it was after a year as well. Its now such a pleasure feeding her, now that we don't have to worry about the amount of milk and issues around position and sore nipples are a thing of the past. Perhaps if I manage to get pregnant again, the breastfeeding will go much better.

I took Zoe for her 4 month immunisations today. Its really hard exposing her fat little thighs so the GP can sink two bloody great needles into them, and the scream that follows a few seconds later is just so sad. Fortunately she doesn't cry for long and seems to forget about it after 5 minutes.

We had a chat about introducing solids. I told him I wasn't planning to start until 6 months. He said he has his own opinion, which I could take or leave. That is, every baby is different and the key thing is to introduce solids when the baby is showing signs of hunger. He said the easiest way to spot this is when their night sleeps start to get shorter. This makes sense to me and I will be keeping an eye out to see if Zoe starts to sleep less at night.

I am looking forward to introducing solids to her, although by all accounts, its just more work so perhaps best avoided for as long as possible. I also can't imagine what the vomiting will be like, judging by how bad it is with just milk.

Developmentally, Zoe is getting better at rolling. She rolled over three times today from her tummy to back, although sometimes she forgot how to get herself over and it took a few goes. She is also starting to cock her leg over when she's on her back, as if to start rolling to her tummy but I think that's a way off yet.

She's very slowly starting to get the hang of how to work her little hands. She grabs at things and brings them to her mouth, only to realise she's missed and there's nothing there :-) She really looks like she wants to grab at things but just can't seem to make her hands do it.

Tomorrow we go to swimming lessons for the first time and I am slightly nervous about how it will go. I hope she doesn't cry and get upset in the water.

No comments: