That girl's ticker

baby growth

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A nest for the bug

I realised I haven't been posting much lately. I haven't felt I've got much to say.

But yesterday, after months of searching, we finally bought our first family home. We bought a 4 bedroom Victorian terrace in the inner west at auction.

We are just so happy that we've finally managed to buy something. And it really ticks almost all of our boxes.

When we first saw this place before easter, I got that feeling of 'This is the one'. As soon as we were back in the car after walking around it, I said to Lovely Husband that I really, really wanted that house.

Its an old place, has at least 3 bedrooms, in a nice area, with a garden (small but still a garden) and near the train station. It hasn't had a big renovation done on it but the kitchen and back sun room are perfectly fine for us for now. We need to sort out some damp issues and other maintenance stuff, but its really very close to perfect.

Yesterday we were just so happy to have finally bought that we celebrated with a bottle of champagne. LH did the bidding at the auction and he was as cool as a cucumber. I knew I could never do it because my emotions would have taken over. But he just kept calmly bidding, going up in $1K increments even when the other bidders were trying to knock us out with $5K and $10K bids. We got to within $4K of our limit so it was a close run thing. I'm glad luck was with us - it really just depends on who turns up on the day.

Now we have swung into organisational mode. LH is upstairs at the moment, throwing stuff out and we are planning a major cull of junk this time before we move. Its also just lovely to be planning what we will do with each room in our new place, after years of renting and not being able to change anything.

I think the move will be much easier this time because I am at home all day. So I can organise all the logistics easily instead of trying to fit it in around work.

Its going to be a hectic few weeks because I am also doing paid freelancing as well. That's going ok with a few hiccoughs. On Friday I did a phone interview at 10am. My plan was to get Zoe in bed by 9am and hope that she stayed asleep until I was done.

But of course she woke up after 45 mins, so I went and gave her a cuddle and then back into bed at 9.50am in the hope she would drop off again or at least have a play by herself in the cot.

She started off making noises but nothing too worrying. But by the time I was 10 mins into the interview, she was crying and it was getting louder. Luckily I finished up about 5 mins later because I felt so bad being able to hear her crying but feeling that I had to finish the interview. When I went up to her, she'd done her usual trick of rolling onto her tummy and then getting frustrated she couldn't turn over.

On Friday afternoon, I had another interview scheduled for 2pm but our new babysitter was coming to look after Zoe, so I wasn't worried. Anyway, L, our babysitter, got Zoe up, changed nappy and took her downstairs to have her bottle.

I could hear her grizzling but nothing too worrying. But the crying got louder and louder and she didn't seem to be calming down. Fortunately, the interview was done in 15 mins and I went down. Zoe had completely worked herself into a state because it was L giving her the bottle and not me. It took about 5 mins to calm her down so she would take it.

L was doing her best to calm her down and soothe her. And it really wasn't her fault - Zoe just really lost it. I feel like I haven't exposed her to enough other people, or else she wouldn't have freaked out so much.

Anyway, L played with her for another hour or so and by the end Zoe was smiling away and as happy as a clam with her new friend. I think she will get used to L looking after her over time. I certainly hope so, because I really don't want her to freak out every time someone other than LH and I look after her.

I'm not worried about L's ability to mind her. I think she's great - very confident, competent and caring. Its just our little bug needs to get used to her.

This week I'm off to stay with my parents in Victoria while LH is in Chicago. I hope that Zoe will be more used to different people if she spends lots of time with my family and other friends too.

No comments: