Monday, August 23, 2010
So that's how a medicated frozen cycle works...
Well, here I am back from our two weeks in England visiting the family, and on Day 10 of our second attempt at a frozen cycle this year. I'll post on the holiday tomorrow, but needless to say, we had a fantastic time.
This cycle I was taking Provera tablets to bring on a bleed after the last frozen cycle was cancelled after failing to ovulate. So it was all going well until I got to Day 8 of the Provera tablets, when I started to get slight spotting that would signal the start of my period. I called the nurses to talk about it and they advised to keep going with the Provera tablets a day or two longer than the 10 days prescribed to make sure I was back for the Day 10 scan and bloods.
So I ended up taking Provera for 11 days total but by then my period was well and truly in full flow. I was thinking Provera would delay the start of the cycle but in fact that wasn't what happened at all. So exactly 10 days ago, I called the nurses and was instructed to start my oestrogen tablets. That meant I was back in time this morning for my first scan and bloods.
I was under the mistaken impression that we were mimicking a normal cycle by inducing me to ovulate and then doing the transfer 5 days later. But it turns out that what actually happens is that the ethyl estrodiol actually completely suppresses the ovaries so that no follicles develop, but the lining of the uterus does develop. Then we go in with progesterone to thicken it and prepare for the transfer.
So this morning what they were looking for was no activity (ie. no follicles) in the ovary and a nice lining developing. In fact, they found something that was initially pretty worrying - a fibroid. The nurse called in a sonographer for a second opinion (I've learned to dread it when they go off to get someone else when I have a scan!) and they said I had a fibroid growing. They were pretty unwilling to comment on what it meant and I asked did it mean this cycle would be cancelled? They said not necessarily and that it depends on whether the fibroid is interfering with the endometrial lining.
Anyway, when the nurse called with my results, she said Dr D had not commented on it being an issue so all is well. I've since googled on fibroids and it seems they are fine as long as they don't protrude into the endometrium and interfere with implantation, so we are still on track.
But the lining is thickening slowly, and they want to see it at least 7mm (it was 5mm today). So I am going for another scan and bloods on Wednesday. I should then find out when the transfer will be. My oestrogen levels today were 0 and progesterone low (can't remember what).
So we are progressing along fine. I am trying not to think about the fact that our first successful IVF cycle was a natural one and that this one isn't. There's no reason to expect that this one won't work as well. I still believe its pre-ordained in the embryos themselves and it will work or not depending on whether they are able to become babies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi! Welcome back! It would be great to hear any tips for travelling with a baby. We're about embark on our first holiday (Syd to LA) with an 11-month old, and I really don't know what to expect.
As for going on a medicated frozen cycle - my first frozen cycle was also medicated, and we were successful (DS born in Nov). Hope that gives you some peace of mind.
Post a Comment