That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The very persistent placenta :-(

Today I had my hysteroscopy at the IVF clinic. After the initial confusion, my infertility doctor did it. I had to have a general anaesthetic and I was feeling quite apprehensive about it.

Fortunately, Zoe was in childcare today so we didn't have to work out who would look after her but it did mean I had to have a day off work. I'm really busy at the moment, so it wasn't ideal.

I dropped Zoe at childcare and then went to the clinic before 9am. The anaesthetist saw me first and explained what would happen. It's just so weird being fully aware of people in the theatre and then next thing waking up in the recovery area.

Dr D came in soon after and said she'd used the camera to have a look around and had found yet another piece of placenta. This wasn't good news at all but at least its gone now. I asked would it have affected the last embryo we implanted and she said we'd never know.

Its just so frustrating that this mess of a placenta has caused me so many problems. Hopefully it really is all gone now.

One thing is for certain though - the piece of placenta has been there since Zoe's birth, so it really worries me that it wasn't spotted in the earlier ultrasounds. I'm now more certain than ever that I want to go to the ultrasound clinic to have all my future scans and not to the IVF clinic where they are done by the nurses.

I've recovered pretty well from the surgery. I was really tired this afternoon as the anaesthetic wore off, but I've had no pain at all.

Lovely husband came home with me and worked from home this afternoon. He also went and picked up Zoe from childcare this evening. Unfortunately, as soon as he walked in the door, she burst into tears. She must realise that the days she spends there ends with me coming to get her, and having LH appear instead just really upset her expectations. I felt really sorry for poor LH - its hardly the welcome he was expecting. Zoe really is very attached to me these days. It apparently becomes really strong at this stage of her life. It's kind of nice to have the little darling so attached to me and thinking I am the best thing in the world. I should enjoy it - I'm sure she won't feel that way at times when she's older!

Anyway, I now need to wait for the bleeding from the surgery to stop and then for my period to start again and we can launch into the next frozen cycle. My hopes for success are pretty low now, especially with these extra complications. I just need to stop thinking about that last embryo and move on now. I'm also swaying towards doing another stimulated cycle but we won't make that decision until the last of the frosties are gone.

No comments: