Wednesday, September 29, 2010
Cancelled again :-(
Today I had a follow-up ultrasound and the upshot is that this frozen cycle has been cancelled.
As I explained yesterday, Dr D decided to send me to the ultrasound clinic for another U/S to see what was going on inside. I can't work out whether this happened because I questioned things, or whether she had a change of heart.
Anyway, it was a completely different experience having the U/S done by a professional. It only took about 10 minutes and she didn't comment on anything so I had no idea of whether things were ok or not.
When the nurse called at lunch time, she said they had found 'something' and we should not proceed any further with this cycle until we sort out what it is. She said it didn't look worrying, although how she could say that I really don't know.
She told me to go back to my obstetrician (the one who did the D&C in Feb) and get him to sort it out. Since I would need a referral from Dr D to see him, I called her office and explained what I wanted. The receptionist called back later in the day after she'd spoken to Dr D and said Dr D can do a hysterograph next Thursday.
So then I was really confused. Was I supposed to be getting the obstetrician to sort this out, or Dr D? The receptionist said Dr D would call at the end of the day, which unfortunately she hasn't.
So I am left wondering what is going on? My greatest fear is that this 'something' was there in the last cycle, and it might have caused it to fail. In fact they did see a fibroid but came to the conclusion that it wasn't interferring with the endometrium so we should go ahead.
I also can't work out if this cancelled cycle has happened because I'm nervous about this and they want to reassure me with more tests. It will be good to find out what is really going on in there. If it turns out the uterus is fine and the fibroid or whatever it is doesn't interfere with the endometrium, then we can go ahead with confidence.
But if it turns out that there is something in the wrong place, I can't help but wonder if it caused the last cycle to fail. We will never know.
And now my confidence in the clinic is well and truly shaken. I really think the move to get nurses doing the ultrasounds for the IVF cycles is a big mistake. I think they don't have the experience to know if they are not spotting something that they should. I am thinking of requesting that all my future scans are done in the ultrasound clinic, just to be sure that there are no more issues. I'm not sure how that's going to go down with them.
Its really a blow to be delayed yet again. It all seems to be just as difficult this time around. Here was I thinking that we would just do three frozen cycles in a row and would know where we stood but its just problem after problem. And in the back of my mind is that all this trouble is for nothing - that the embryos aren't going to grow into a baby no matter what we do.
Anyway, at least work is busy and keeping me from thinking too much about all this. Hopefully tomorrow will bring some resolution to the plan to get this sorted out and back on track. LH called from Berlin tonight and reminded me that there's no rush but in my mind, the possibility of doing another stimulated cycle is really slipping out of our reach now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment