That girl's ticker

baby growth

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Day 12 - ohmigod, trigger tonight!

I've just had a call from the nurses and my trigger injection is tonight!

On Friday I had my Day 11 bloods and ultrasound. There were 35 follicles and sizes were:

Right ovary: 22, 18, 2 x 17, 16, 3 x 13
Left ovary: 22, 16, 15, 11

So basically 12 decent sized follicles growing away. The drop in Puregon dose down to 175 IU did the trick of making the existing ones grow. My E2 levels were 11,222 IU/l and endometrial lining was 6mm.

The nurse was predicting egg pick-up for Tuesday and told me to drop the dose down again to 150 IU for today and back in for an u/s and bloods this morning (Sat).

It was much nicer going into the clinic this morning. For one thing I drove in - no traffic around at 7.15am and plenty of parking. The clinic was also much quieter than during the week. I asked lovely husband if he wanted to come with me but he preferred sleeping (fair enough - he hasn't had much of it this week).

The blood test was fine - no disappearing veins today but there were some fun and games with the ultrasound. The sonographer seemed much less experienced than the woman I've had all the other times. At first, she couldn't get the cursor working on the machine so she wasn't able to measure the follies.

So I hoped across to another room with just the sheet around me and we had more luck there. The follicles seem huge on the ultrasound now. Here's the measurements:

Left ovary: (15) 23, 17, 16, 13, 12, 10
Right ovary: (21) 23, 21, 19, 2 x 18, 17, 14

Endometrial lining had kicked on a bit at 8mm and E2 was 16985 IU.

The sonographer said I was doing really well and I told her how surprised I am that it has gone so well because I am an 'oldie' at nearly 41.

So the call is that the follicles are now ready to yield their eggs and I am triggering at 8.30pm tonight. The timing has got the changeover to daylight saving factored in so egg pick-up is at 9.30am on Monday morning.

My continuing frustrations with organising life around the cycle continue. We will be at a friend's place for dinner tonight, so the plan is that I will take the pre-filled Ovidrel syringe with me in a cold pack and give it to myself at the right time. Since it is pre-filled, I don't need any of the other paraphenalia so it should be fine I think.

The good news is that egg pick-up has been scheduled for the Monday holiday, which means no time off work for us. The down side is that it means Dr D won't be doing the egg pick-up because she's gone away for the weekend. This is a bit disappointing but not unexpected. I'm sure it will be fine with another Dr, its just that it would have been nice to have a familiar dr who I have built up a relationship with. Still, the main thing is that the eggs are collected at exactly the right time.

The seemingly never-ending juggling continues though because this now means I am in danger of missing my friend's interstate wedding next weekend if embryo transfer happens then. I've decided not to worry about that for now and will just see how the week pans out. It really depends on whether we get embryos, how many there are and how well they grow.

No comments: