That girl's ticker

baby growth

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

IVF Volume 2

Yesterday I went to see my IVF specialist about how we can conceive our second child. This might seem a bit mad with Zoe only 12 weeks old but it will take quite a few months of planning and I had a few questions for Dr D about how to go about it.

As I expected, I need to have my menstrual cycles return to normal before we can do another frozen cycle. It is possible to use medications to get it happening, but it involves using pessaries twice a day, which isn't a great option.

Dr D said she would want me to be quite sure that my cycles were predictable and that I had at least two in a row that were a predictable length. This is because if we are doing blood tests during the frozen cycle and waiting for ovulation, if it doesn't happen, or takes ages, then the cycle might be cancelled midway and we would be out of pocket.

As for when my cycle will return to normal, in her words - 'how long is a piece of string?'. She said some patients have regular periods while breastfeeding and some take months for their cycles to return to normal.

I think its encouraging that I've already had one period. It started when Zoe was about 6 weeks old and lasted for 3 weeks - eek! I wasn't surprised since I haven't been exclusively breastfeeding. Perhaps another period will happen in the next week or so - impossible to know.

We think that we might attempt one more stimulated cycle if none of our three frozen embryos are viable and we really don't want to delay doing that too long. The odds of success are about 10-20% for a 42 year old but I will be 43 in November so odds are even less then.

So the big question is - when should I stop breastfeeding Zoe? As it hasn't been going all that well (ie. I am pretty much giving her all she needs from formula and breastfeeding is an added benefit), it will be an easier decision.

I looked up the scientific literature on breastfeeding benefits to get some idea. I don't trust most websites as the breastfeeding lobby will just say as long as possible is best and that's not the answer I am looking for.

One of the largest breastfeeding studies is the Dundee study and it shows that breastfeeding for 13 weeks or longer has a more protective effect for gastrointestinal illnesses than less than 13 weeks or formula feeding. The effect is maintained beyond when breastfeeding is stopped. One of the really encouraging findings was that mixed feeding with breast and formula was almost as good as breastfeeding alone in terms of gastro benefits, so this was very good news.

I really need to find a study that looks at different durations to see what the benefit is but I haven't found any so far.

Anyway, my feeling at the moment is that I will slowly start to wean Zoe off the breast over the coming weeks. It would be good to make it to 4 months, but combining formula and breastfeeding is a lot of work. I don't have a huge supply so weaning probably won't be very difficult but now that it has come time to make a decision, I'm not keen to stop.

Despite the supply difficulties, the breastfeeding has been enjoyable. I haven't had any issues with cracked nipples or any major soreness. Zoe has continued to take breast and bottle with no issues and I haven't had mastitis or any other awful pain or infections. Its a lovely time when she's just in my arms feeding away contentedly, even if she doesn't get much milk from it.

I do feel a bit that I might be compromising the health of one baby to conceive another but at least she's had 3 months of breastfeeding, which is better than nothing.

No comments: