That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, January 28, 2010

IVF volume II: A very lucky finding

Today I had an ultrasound to try and find the source of my very light but persistent spotting. I told Dr D I wondered if I had another cervical polyp, which was the cause of my light spotting during the pregnancy.

She ordered an u/s to check for polyps and fibroids. I am so glad we did this test because straight away the sonographer found that I had quite a lot of endometrial tissue still in my uterus. This would absolutely have prevented me from getting pregnant and we might have wasted one of our precious frozen embryos.

I also wonder if it may have contributed to my low milk supply problems. Anyway, apparently a currette can fix it so I will wait to hear from Dr D about where we go from here.

I am just so glad we found it. I could have waited for months for my period to come back and it never would have while there was a bit of tissue in there releasing progesterone. The sonographer showed that there was some blood supply to the tissue so it could be releasing some hormones into my blood stream to prevent pregnancy.

So once again, I feel incredibly lucky. I would have been so easy to dismiss the very slight spotting as just leftovers of pregnancy and not mention it to Dr D or get it checked out.

The bleeding I had around 6 weeks after birth might have been some tissue coming away rather than a period as I expected.

It makes me realise that we really shouldn't rush headlong into our next IVF cycles. Perhaps a few months break is a good thing, and who knows, maybe my milk supply will increase yet.

No comments: