That girl's ticker

baby growth

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Weird goings on with weight

Today I did my usual weekly weigh-in and found I was 1 kg lighter than last week. Not sure how that happened but the most likely reason is that our scales are decidedly dodgy and accuracy isn't their strong point. I probably weighed a bit over last week and a bit under this week.

The other thing is that all this rest has made me completely lose my appetite. I really thought the danger of doing 'resting' would be gaining loads of weight from not getting any exercise but in fact its the opposite. From looking around on sites about bed rest during pregnancy, weight loss is one of the concerns doctors have about it.

I do know one thing for sure though - it certainly hasn't affected E3. He's gained an extra 200 g this week, exactly what is expected at this stage.

The lack of appetite is doubly hard for me at the moment because I'm on this 3 day carb loading diet in preparation for the 2h glucose tolerance test on Monday. Ordinarily, the thought of eating loads of bread, fruit and biscuits would be fantastic, but in fact its a real struggle.

I'm supposed to eat 3 serves each of fruit and veges plus breakfast cereal, which isn't hard, but its the extra 3 slices of bread, plus biscuits or bread for morning and afternoon tea, plus a serve of rice as well. It's quite a lot of carbs in one day.

Assuming I don't have gestational diabetes when I do the test on Monday, I'm going to work out exactly how many calories I should be eating each day at this stage of pregnancy so I make sure E3 gets enough to eat and I don't undereat. Of course it would be great if E3 keeps gaining weight and I lose some, but that's going to be a hard balance to get right.

Anyway, apart from the eating stuff, the couch potato life is going ok so far. I am not thinking about the next 9 weeks because we just don't know how its going to pan out. Just taking one day at a time at the moment

No comments: