Sunday, May 9, 2010
My first mother's day
Today was my first mother's day and we've had a lovely day.
It didn't start off too well though. Lovely husband wasn't so lovely because he completely forgot it was mother's day. By midday I realised there wasn't going to be any special treatment so I mentioned it.
He was very sorry and sheepish. He had actually bought me a small present but forgot that today was the day. So he looked after Zoe all day and we went out for lunch. Its just nice sometimes to have someone else do the feeds and solids, changing nappies, putting to bed and playing. So I just did cuddles when I felt like it and left the rest to him.
Zoe is getting very strong now and she raises her head and tries to sit up every time we lie her on the floor. I think her stomach muscles must be getting really strong now. She can now sit unassisted but we need to stay close and put cushions around her because occasionally she overbalances and knocks her head on the floor. It doesn't do much harm but does make her cry.
Its also fascinating seeing what she can and can't figure out. I gave her a plastic box of blocks yesterday. She enjoyed sucking on the blocks but when I put the box in front of her, she didn't seem to realise that she could reach in and take a block.
And then I put a small plastic pig she'd been playing with all morning in the box. She could see it and it was literally inches from her hand, but she couldn't work out that she could reach into the box and grab it. I guess her conceptualisations are just very basic at the moment.
She's still rolling really well and doing the flying baby trick when she's on her front. But unfortunately, she's still really frustrated and grumpy in that position too. I think she just wants to take off but can't work out how.
As for me, I've finished my first freelance assignments as a Mum and its a really good feeling. I was glad to have filed the features because I'd been spending any spare minute of the last week on them. I've realised today just how much there is to do to get ready to move into our new house. Its only 3 weeks until we settle and less than 4 until we move.
Next week I hope to go and talk to my employers about going back to work. I'm a bit nervous about it and not ready to go yet, but I really feel like its time to have the conversation with them.
And as for our next IVF rounds, there's still no sign whatsoever of my period. I've felt vague cramp-like stirrings the last few days but it could be my imagination. Patience is a virtue :-(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment