That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The trials and tribulations of solids - and a tooth!

Until the last week, Zoe was doing really well eating solids. She'd taken to everything I served up (except avocado - no great loss) and I had even started to give her three serves of veges and one of fruit at each meal. So we merrily went ahead and made loads of food with meat and veges for her.

But the last week or so, its all gone haywire. She'll still eat the fruit but I am struggling to get even one serve of veges and/or meat into her. I've tried giving her the fruit (usually with yogurt) first, which she wolfs down, but then she jacks up on eating the veges and meat.

I really don't know what to do about it. The other thing that has happened is I've introduced whole milk in her rice cereal for breakfast. Apparently you aren't meant to give babies under 12 months whole milk as their main source of milk, but its fine to use in cereal or cooking.

Anyway, she ate the cereal with whole milk no problem, but straight away she got nappy rash. She's hardly had nappy rash at all so far and I wasn't entirely sure it was the milk. But I cut it out and waited until the nappy rash cleared and then gave her the milk again. Sure enough, the nappy rash came straight back. According to the 'bible' (aka Baby Love book), this can happen with whole milk or yogurt. I guess we'll need to stick with the formula on her breakfast for the time being.

The other thing that's happened this week is that she's finally got a wee little tooth poking through her lower gum. I felt it for the first time when I gave her a bath this evening. It might explain why she woke up at 4am and then 5.30am last night. Hopefully she will be happier now its come through. It may also explain the eating problems. We can only hope.

I also gave her a rusk last week for the first time. She looked at it and then looked at me as if to say 'Why are you giving me this really dull toy?' Unlike everything else she gets her hands on, she just doesn't seem that interested in sticking it in her mouth. Ah well, we'll try again with rusks in a few months.

No comments: