That girl's ticker

baby growth

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pre-IVF #2 - ovulation at last (I think)

Its Day 27 of my post-IVF #1 cycle and I think I've finally ovulated. On Wednesday morning, I got a negative on the OPK but I could see a second line quite clearly. I tested again in the evening and there it was - the smiley face. Only problem was, lovely husband was in Melbourne. According to the packet, you are meant to 'make love' within the next 48 hours after the LH surge is detected. From my reading, I think ovulation usually happens about 36 hours after. Anyway, lovely husband came back on Thursday night and has been here ever since, so we are trying again.

Yesterday, it was a beautiful day after all the rain and I was walking down our street to the station and I suddenly felt really happy. Its been a while since I felt like that and it was just such a good feeling. I feel more like a normal person again. I'm in the frame of mind that I am certain we will become parents - don't know when or how, but we just will. I'm all for the positive vibes at the moment and I am feeling very strong going into our next IVF cycle.

I read about a new clinical study this week that showed that birth defects are more common with IVF treatment. The rate goes from about 1% of births up to 2% so it is still very low but increased nonetheless. It won't stop us from trying the IVF route and probablay not many others either, just more information for people to make an informed choice I guess.

If my cycle behaves as it usually does, I will start my next period in about 11 days, which means IVF #2 will start on about December 6. This is fine and it means that when we get to egg collection and transfer, I will have finished work for the christmas break. It might interfere a bit with our christmas trip to see the family but no matter. What a lovely christmas present it would be if we were to get pregnant.

No comments: