That girl's ticker

baby growth

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A slightly scary non-fertility health issue

Today I finally went to the GP to see about the mole on my left leg. Its been there for about 20 years and is kind of like an old friend - only scarier. I've had it checked quite a few times and the doctors always said keep an eye on it but ok for now.

But lately it has started to feel itchy. Anyway, at lovely husband's insistence, I made a GP appointment. He had a look with the magnifying glass and then the dermatoscope and said 'Its coming off. Can you come in tomorrow at 4.30pm?' He said he 'didn't want to speculate on whether it might be melanoma' but that I'd done the right thing by coming in to have it checked. He is also very much aware that I may well be pregnant soon so need to get it sorted pronto.

Anyway, after the initial shock at the speed of it all, I am trying hard not to panic or think the worst - that I might have melanoma and it might have spread. The chances are very low but it's entirely possible. I don't even want to go down the road of the possible implications of treatment, and pregnancy and fertility if it is malignant.

So, rather than spending the next 5 days worrying myself sick, I'm going to be positive and think of how nice it will be to have the 'old friend' gone so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Sure takes the mind off TTC anyway! On that topic, my temperature this morning was 36.8 deg C - pretty high for me in the luteal phase and a good sign that the cycle is going as it should. I did have a couple of drinks at the work dinner I went to last night and that does always raise the temp a bit so will see how it is tomorrow.

Lovely husband is away so I'm a weekend wife at the moment, and probably will be for the next 4 months - sigh.

No comments: