That girl's ticker

baby growth

Friday, April 3, 2009

7 weeks - two sacs, one baby, heatbeat 140!!!!!

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A BABY! I really, really believe it now. Also believe I am actually pregnant because we've seen our baby - such a wonderful feeling.

We had the 7 week ultrasound today. I can't say just how nervous I felt going in there to see what we would find. Lovely husband was the same. I've been pretty stressed the last few days in the run-up to it. We did get the 7 week blood results on Wednesday as well and beta hCG was 50600, so still rising although at a much slower rate.

Anyway, the sonographer did a vaginal ultrasound because she said it was easier to see things. She asked did I mind? Hardly, since I've had umpteen of them already during the IVF cycles so I'm an old hand now.

First, she had a look at the cervix. I couldn't tell what she was looking for but apparently all was fine. Then she focused in on the uterus and there they were - two nice round gestational sacs. Only one was empty. So we did get two embryos implanting but only one has made it.

She estimated that the embryo in the empty one probably stopped at about 5 weeks, going by the size of the sac. I asked did she think that could be the reason for the spotting, since that's when it started, and she agreed that could be a reason.

So our little baby is doing very well. I was holding my breath to see if there would be a heartbeat and I managed to spot it before she confirmed it. This was because we saw a video of an early ultrasound on Wed night at the clinic information night.

What it looks like is a big mass of stuff in the middle of the baby that pulsates. I takes up about half the embryo!! The heartbeat was 140 beats/minute, which is perfect.

Lengthwise, our little pea measured about 10mm from crown to rump, which is also just what it should be for a little over 7 weeks.

I am just so relieved that everything's going to be ok. Apparently, the chance of having a live birth from here on is about 95% once the heatbeat is detected. That's just so reassuring. We are now free of all the bad statistics associated with being older. I feel like I can now just get on and enjoy the pregnancy like any other woman.

I guess I feel a little sad for E4, the little embryo that didn't make it. But I suppose its just like the other 4 that haven't progressed either. I think lovely husband is a bit sad we aren't having twins and it would have been nice, but now we have less to worry about with the pregnancy.

I just had a gut feeling that it was only one, so I'm not too down about it. But I think that lovely husband is going to be a bit sad for a little while.

Anyway, now I feel that I can just relax and enjoy this experience. I still feel absolutely fine with very few symptoms. The main one at the moment is tiredness but even that's not too bad. I'm just so grateful that we've been able to get this far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm thrilled to hear that they found a heartbeat. I had my first ultrasound last week, and seeing my baby's heartbeat was the best experience - it pulled me out of my depression :) Make the most of this time before morning sickness starts. I certainly don't wish morning sickness upon anyone :P Take care.