Monday, February 21, 2011
The last bit of rogue placenta
This morning I had another ultrasound to try and see where the placental tissue identified on the biopsy is coming from.
Dr G was to attend but in actual fact he just had a quick chat to the sonographer before he got called away to theatre. It didn't matter because he explained that he needed to see what was happening in the top left part of my uterus.
The scan showed that there is still a bit of placenta lurking there. Its seems to be about 2cm by 1cm. I felt relieved in a way because it just shows there is still some tissue there and not some other strange unexplained reason.
But Dr G was adamant that he had been absolutely religious in removing every tiny bit of placenta he could see when he did the hysteroscopy. But I guess he did miss a bit, or maybe the last bit is particularly hard to get at. The worrying thing is that its at the top of the uterus, which is right where the embryos are transferred to.
Anyway, before I had the scan, he said he thought the best course of action was to wait a couple of months to see if it resolved on its own. But having now seen that there's still a clear chunk in there, I don't see how that's going to help. If it hasn't come out in the last 15 months, I can't see what difference another two months is going to make. On the bright side, he said the rest of my uterus was looking very good - perfect were the words he used.
I feel sure that he and Dr D will recommend a fourth hysteroscopy, otherwise I don't see how we are going to get it out. Guess I'll just have to wait for them to call to see what they think.
There was some good news though. According to the sonographer, my ovaries look very good. There were about 7 or 8 follicles on each side, which is really excellent for someone as old as me :-) But that's only part of the story - it means I would probably get a good number of eggs from a round of IVF but the eggs are still 43 years old and the quality isn't going to be great. But at least I can still produce a good number of eggs for someone my age.
I'm more sure now that we should go ahead and do another stimulated cycle without delay. It may be a waste of time if one of our two remaining embryos become a baby, but we consider the cost worth it. I just can't waste any more time and we can do the stimulated cycle and freeze any embryos while we wait for the uterus to be sorted out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Fabulous choice! I would probably do the same. At least then you are covering your bases, which is about all we can do in the IVF world with the clock ticking. We will be making another egg collection decision in a couple of months if we don't fall before then. Such a weight off when you make the call, huh? All the best to you both. Hx
Post a Comment