That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, September 10, 2009

30 weeks - yay!!!

We made it to my short term goal - 30 weeks! When the drs first saw how short my cervix was at 27 weeks, I don't think they thought I would make it even this far.

My goal now is to get to 32 weeks. Its around that time that E3 would perhaps not need to be in the NICU, just the special care nursery.

I've been reading up on caesarian deliveries and also caring for premature babies. I want to be mentally prepared for what is to come next. I think if I've got a good grip on the reality of both situations, then I will be able to cope better mentally. I am imagining myself expressing breast milk, visiting the NICU every today to see E3 and preparing for him/her to have weeks in hospital.

If we get well past 35 weeks and it doesn't come to pass, then no harm done. I think mothers who give birth prematurely with no warning get a real shock about what happens next.

At least I am lucky that we've had a lot of warning that we might have a premmie baby.

E3 is doing really well, at least as far as I can tell. He is doing some really strong kicks now and seems to be more active.

As for me, I am feeling more tired now, which I assume is normal. I am managing the gestational diabetes really well now. My fasting glucose is always around 4.7 (well under the 5.2 target) and my post-meal readings are usually around 6.7 (well under the 7.5 target).

I'm so glad I was able to get control of this so quickly. I really wanted to make sure E3 was being exposed to normal glucose levels as fast as possible.

I am trying to keep a really positive mental attitude as well - for both me and for E3 to benefit from. So far I am in good spirits and not yet bored. The only thing that gets me down is thinking about how far away 37 weeks is, or even 32 weeks. The only real way to cope is to just focus on getting to the end of each day, breaking down the goals into manageable chuncks.

My next short term goal is my appointment with the obs on Monday. Not sure what he will be recommending, but my guess is that I am doing all I can and now its just a matter of waiting, watching and hoping.

No comments: