Saturday, September 12, 2009
Spring is here...
...well spring, Sydney style, that is. Its about 28 degrees today so more like summer. I'm out on the terrace and have been for most of the day. The air feels really balmy and warm. Its nice to be outside, even if I can't really get out and enjoy it at the park or the beach.
LH is taking Dad to the airport at the moment. Its been really nice having him here for a week taking care of me. I think he really enjoyed it. I guess parents don't get much chance to be useful to their children when they grow up.
I started to get a bit fractious and irritated yesterday. It wasn't with Dad - just got frustrated having someone else in the house running the kitchen and things not done just exactly the way I would do them. I felt incredibly ungrateful but I think it was caused by frustration starting to set in with all the inactivity and being locked up in the house. I haven't actually left the house since last Monday.
So I decided I'd allow myself a little treat tomorrow. I'm going to have a pedicure. LH will drive me down there, even though its not far, and then pick me up when I'm done. I will be sitting down in their comfy massage chairs the whole time so I figure it can't do any harm.
I sent off my blood glucose readings and food diary to the endocrinologist yesterday and got an 'excellent'! I felt so pleased with myself - better than getting a good mark in an exam :-)
Unfortunately, last night I had a hicough with my blood glucose. It shot up to 8.3 after dinner last night. I had rice and stir fry. Its been the first serve of rice I've had since starting measuring the BG. I made sure it was basmati rice, not jasmine as instructed, and got LH to measure out the serve carefully, but it seems to have had a fairly drastic effect. I might try again in a few days with just one serve instead of three, and see if that's any better. But it really showed just what a delicate balance I have to strike with getting just the right amount of carbs.
LH is taking Dad to the airport at the moment. Its been really nice having him here for a week taking care of me. I think he really enjoyed it. I guess parents don't get much chance to be useful to their children when they grow up.
I started to get a bit fractious and irritated yesterday. It wasn't with Dad - just got frustrated having someone else in the house running the kitchen and things not done just exactly the way I would do them. I felt incredibly ungrateful but I think it was caused by frustration starting to set in with all the inactivity and being locked up in the house. I haven't actually left the house since last Monday.
So I decided I'd allow myself a little treat tomorrow. I'm going to have a pedicure. LH will drive me down there, even though its not far, and then pick me up when I'm done. I will be sitting down in their comfy massage chairs the whole time so I figure it can't do any harm.
I sent off my blood glucose readings and food diary to the endocrinologist yesterday and got an 'excellent'! I felt so pleased with myself - better than getting a good mark in an exam :-)
Unfortunately, last night I had a hicough with my blood glucose. It shot up to 8.3 after dinner last night. I had rice and stir fry. Its been the first serve of rice I've had since starting measuring the BG. I made sure it was basmati rice, not jasmine as instructed, and got LH to measure out the serve carefully, but it seems to have had a fairly drastic effect. I might try again in a few days with just one serve instead of three, and see if that's any better. But it really showed just what a delicate balance I have to strike with getting just the right amount of carbs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment