Wednesday, September 23, 2009
32 weeks today - hurrah!!
I'm so happy to have made it this far. I think the doctor really didn't have great confidence that we would get this far when we first discovered my short cervix at 27 weeks.
I am hoping there is no reason we can't go all the way to 37 weeks, but just to have made it to 32 weeks is great. We are now in the least worrying, and most common, category of prematurity - 32-37 weeks. Apparently about 80% of premature babies are born in this category. It is great to have left behind the extreme premature (<28 weeks) and moderate premature (28-31 weeks) categories.
Of course, it doesn't mean that E3 wouldn't have difficulties if he was born now. Every baby is different and the statistics are just that - they don't predict how the baby will fare. But E3 has a few things in his favour - he is a good weight at 1.8 kg, and there are no issues (that they can find at least) with growth, the placenta, the cord blood flow, or my health, now that the gestational diabetes is under control.
E3 is now making surfactant for his lungs so that they will stay inflated when he breathes. He could still possibly need to be on a respirator if born now, but the chances of him being able to breathe on his own get better as each day goes by.
I am starting to get worn down by the inactivity and being tied to the couch. I guess it was inevitable and I am trying to keep my spirits up, but it is hard. My sister is here at the moment, and that definitely helps but I've potentially got another 5 weeks of this, which is a bit daunting.
I am trying to just take one day at a time and focus on short goals so it isn't so overwhelming. My next goal is 33 weeks, when we will be able to go to the private hospital we have booked into. That's only a week away, and hopefully we will make it.
I am hoping there is no reason we can't go all the way to 37 weeks, but just to have made it to 32 weeks is great. We are now in the least worrying, and most common, category of prematurity - 32-37 weeks. Apparently about 80% of premature babies are born in this category. It is great to have left behind the extreme premature (<28 weeks) and moderate premature (28-31 weeks) categories.
Of course, it doesn't mean that E3 wouldn't have difficulties if he was born now. Every baby is different and the statistics are just that - they don't predict how the baby will fare. But E3 has a few things in his favour - he is a good weight at 1.8 kg, and there are no issues (that they can find at least) with growth, the placenta, the cord blood flow, or my health, now that the gestational diabetes is under control.
E3 is now making surfactant for his lungs so that they will stay inflated when he breathes. He could still possibly need to be on a respirator if born now, but the chances of him being able to breathe on his own get better as each day goes by.
I am starting to get worn down by the inactivity and being tied to the couch. I guess it was inevitable and I am trying to keep my spirits up, but it is hard. My sister is here at the moment, and that definitely helps but I've potentially got another 5 weeks of this, which is a bit daunting.
I am trying to just take one day at a time and focus on short goals so it isn't so overwhelming. My next goal is 33 weeks, when we will be able to go to the private hospital we have booked into. That's only a week away, and hopefully we will make it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment