That girl's ticker

baby growth

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gestational diabetes under control

I'm feeling very pleased with myself.

I've been monitoring my blood glucose after every meal and tracking exactly what I eat and how many carbs I am having, and my blood glucose levels are really good!

My targets are <5.2 mmol/L before breakfast and <7.5 mmol/L 1 hour after each meal. So far I've hit the target apart from breakfast on Sat, and lunch on Sunday.

I'm figuring out what I can eat and how long before each meal to keep it within limits. This morning I decided to see if I could cope with honey on my toast. It was fine on one piece; tomorrow I'll try on both :-)

I'm so glad I've been able to get this under control, despite not being able to do any exercise. It will get harder though. As the pregnancy hormones just keep going up and up, they will interfere with the insulin more and more.

I am feeling really very good. I have noticed that I am starting to feel more tired each day, which I was expecting in the third trimester. I'm so glad I'm not at work - I would be exhausted.

Mentally, I am coping well with this 'confinement' and the lack of interaction with the outside world. I've been working on my last feature article for work, so that has kept me busy. And Dad is keeping me company so I'm not feeling too lonely.

I've got such a long list of things I want to do while I'm lying on the couch - UK and Australian tax returns, ebay loads of our old DVDs, send emails to friends that I haven't contacted for ages and read loads of books and watch movies.

I am really just savouring the chance to have so much time to myself to just chill out because it will all come to a screeching halt when E3 comes along. I'm sure I will look back on this time and feel very envious of what I had.

Apart from the mental stresses of all my pregnancy complications, this lying around before the baby comes couldn't be better preparation really. Perhaps that's why women inVictorian times took themselves out of polite society in the last trimester for their 'confinement'. Not so practical in the real world though. I am just very lucky we don't have any other children to be cared for. I can't imagine how those women cope.

No comments: