Monday, April 4, 2011
A surprising day
This morning I got a call from the IVF nurses with bad news - none of our four embryos was suitable for freezing. This was a big blow, particularly since they seemed to be doing well on Day 3. She did say that the embryologist recommended that we transfer one embryo fresh today, since it was ok for that purpose, just not for freezing. But apparently Dr D had recommended we don't do this since it was so unlikely to work given the endometrial problems.
Anyway, I gave Dr D a call to talk about it and turns out she had my endometrial biopsy results, which she hadn't had a chance to look at today. That was the good news for the day - all normal!! No retained products of conception and no inflammation. I was so happy, even despite the bad news about the embryos.
So I said I thought we should go ahead with an embryo transfer today and she agreed this was fine, as long as we were ok about the cost and low chance of success. So by then it was 10.45am and the transfer was to be at 12.30. Fortunately I've got a friend who doesn't work on Mondays and she was able to come over and look after Zoe while I rushed into the city for the transfer. Lovely husband wasn't there - I couldn't get in touch with him until a little while before the transfer and he couldn't get away from work.
When I arrived at the clinic, I had a chat to the embryologist about the state of the embryos. Apparently, they need to be fully formed blastocysts before they can freeze them, otherwise they won't survive. But their attitude is that the embryos have a better chance inside the uterus so its worth going for a transfer. The embryos get until Day 6 to turn into blastocysts and then its too late for freezing.
Dr D also told them to put back two embryos since there's nothing to lose, and the chances of having twins is really miniscule. So I've now got two embryos inside me, one of which is an early blastocyst. I know our chances of success are just so remote this cycle so I won't be at all surprised if the pregnancy test is negative.
But its just wonderful to finally have the endometrial issues sorted out. Dr D said my endometrium looked fine so we can expect it was the embryos if this cycle fails. I can't quite believe we are back in another two week wait - its just so unexpected. I'm very realistic about our chances but as usual, part of me can't help but feeling a little bit positive. It seems a shame not to send some positive vibes to the little embryos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment