Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Abbreviations, abbreviations everywhere...
When I first started surfing the net on information on how to get pregnant, I felt like there was a secret language I didn't know how to read because this complicated little conception world of ours is completely awash with abbreviations.
I came to grips with TTC (trying to conceive) pretty swiftly, and even BFP and BFN (big fat positive or negative) didn't have me stumped for long. Once I got the hang of the whole cervical fluid thing, I had EWCM (egg white cervical mucous) to add to the list and it was only a matter of time before I was using DPO (days past ovulation) like a pro.
But there was one that had me completely flummoxed - AF. Of course I knew what it meant - menstruation, period, monthly or whatever else you want to call it. But it took me ages to work out what the letters stood for - Aunt Flo!! Now, where I come from, I've never heard this term used as a euphemism for menstruation. In our house, the preferred term is 'having the painters in' but not sure that is going to go down well in the TTC world :-) I guess there's some regional and cultural variations in terminology.
Here's a few other of my choice favourites (not!):
BD - baby dance (are you joking!?)
DH - dear husband (fair enough)
BBs - breasts
DTD - did the deed (please!)
Next post, agonising over who to tell about IVF.
I came to grips with TTC (trying to conceive) pretty swiftly, and even BFP and BFN (big fat positive or negative) didn't have me stumped for long. Once I got the hang of the whole cervical fluid thing, I had EWCM (egg white cervical mucous) to add to the list and it was only a matter of time before I was using DPO (days past ovulation) like a pro.
But there was one that had me completely flummoxed - AF. Of course I knew what it meant - menstruation, period, monthly or whatever else you want to call it. But it took me ages to work out what the letters stood for - Aunt Flo!! Now, where I come from, I've never heard this term used as a euphemism for menstruation. In our house, the preferred term is 'having the painters in' but not sure that is going to go down well in the TTC world :-) I guess there's some regional and cultural variations in terminology.
Here's a few other of my choice favourites (not!):
BD - baby dance (are you joking!?)
DH - dear husband (fair enough)
BBs - breasts
DTD - did the deed (please!)
Next post, agonising over who to tell about IVF.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment