That girl's ticker

baby growth

Sunday, September 7, 2008

The road to IVF - gettting started

Once we had decided to start IVF treatment, the clinic gave us lots of literature and forms to sign.

We had to decide whether to have genetic testing for cystic fibrosis. This is optional but we decided to do it and we both came back negative. We also had to read the forms on the risks and side effects of IVF treatment.

On the whole, IVF treatment is relatively safe and the issues not too worrying. The main concern is ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, which can result from the FSH stimulation cycle. It is less likely in older women and so doesn't seem to be much of a concern. The side effects of each drug also don't seem to be too worrying, although we will see if this is the case when I actually start taking them. The one issue that did concern us was the dangers of having multiple births.

Lots of people, including us, feel that having twins would be lovely, and they are. For us, it would solve the problem of me needing to go through this all again in a year or so when I am even older.

But the statistics are worrying. The death rate of twins between 5-9 months of pregnancy is 6 times higher than for a single baby, and the mortality rate at delivery is about 1 in 20. In the end, we discussed it with our doctor and wrote on the forms that we would consider implanting '1-2 embryos'. We will make the decision once we have some embryos to implant.

We have been told that the usual course of treatment is 2-4 stimulated cycles and that our chances of success are a bit over 20% per egg collection (this includes frozen cycles).

The husband is assuming it won't work the first time. He prefers to take a pessimistic view and be pleasantly surprised when he is wrong. I can't do that - I have to feel positive that it will work and then deal with my feelings when it doesn't. Everyone is different I guess.

We had our meeting with the nurses and also the finance people. The nurse was good in explaining the process, but didn't give us much more information than we had in our handbook and DVD from the clinic. She also gave me prescriptions for Provera and Lucrin, and told me to call on the first day of my next period.

The next few weeks passed quickly because we were getting married and on holidays. It was great to get away and worry less about this whole baby thing.

My worry was working out what exactly is Day 1 of my cycle. This might seem weird but I get spotting before each period that isn't the real thing. My doctor said this could indicate I have endometriosis, which would definitely be interferring with my fertility. I don't have any other symptoms but in the absence of any other explanation, it seems as good a reason as any.

I had one false start on calling in on Day 1 when I thought it was all happening but it was just spotting. I called again 3 days later and the nurse adjusted my dates. I was instructed to start the Provera tablets on Day 19 of my cycle and continue them for 7 days. Provera is synthetic progesterone and is used to prevent ovarian cysts forming in response to the follicle stimulation, and also to regulate my cycle. Once it is stopped, my period should start. Let's hope this is the case.

Tomorrow is Day 22 and my first 'on-treatment' blood test. I've been taking Provera for 3 days with no side effects at all. Mentally, I'm feeling positive but just really impatient for everything to get started. The waiting is hard for me and god knows how I will cope with the two week wait if I get to implantation.

No comments: