Saturday, September 13, 2008
First Lucrin injection - I did it!
After my blood test yesterday confirming that I had ovulated, I started on Lucrin today. I have to say that it was reassuringly easy. I got the Lucrin out of the fridge and filled the needle as the nurse showed me. The needle is actually very small - about 1cm and very thin. I pinched my stomach skin and pushed it in quite hard, because I was worried it might not go in if I didn't use a bit of force. It slid in really easily and it didn't even hurt. After I took the needle out, I couldn't even see where it had gone in. So I am feeling very proud of myself.
The dilemma was working out what time to give myself the injection. If I do it in the morning, I need to either do it really early before I would be going to the clinic for tests, or later when I would have time enough to get home. Doing it in the evening would just have been too hard. If I decided to have a night out I would have to make sure to be home to give myself the injection. In the end I decided on 8.30am so hopefully that won't interfere with my life too much.
The point of the Lucrin is to suppress my FSH and LH production, so that my cycle can be controlled. Understanding how it works is very counter-intuitive though. Lucrin is a gonadotropin hormone releasing hormone agonist. This means that it has a similar action to GNRH. So when I take it, it actually causes FSH and LH to flare and be released. Increased FSH and LH in the blood then sends a message to my brain saying 'Stop!, which then causes GNRH to stop inducing FSH and LH. As long as I am taking it, the levels of those two hormones will stay low.
Taking Lucrin if I am actually pregnant this cycle isn't an issue either. This is because the corpus luteum resulting from ovulation is producing progesterone, and will keep doing so until either a new embryo starts directing progesterone production, or I get my period. Neither of those two outcomes need FSH or LH so they continue as normal.
I am still feeling very positive about TTC at the moment. I had a lovely long walk along the beach today - first warm day for the season and lots of people were about. Missing husband though - can't wait until he gets home on Tuesday.
The dilemma was working out what time to give myself the injection. If I do it in the morning, I need to either do it really early before I would be going to the clinic for tests, or later when I would have time enough to get home. Doing it in the evening would just have been too hard. If I decided to have a night out I would have to make sure to be home to give myself the injection. In the end I decided on 8.30am so hopefully that won't interfere with my life too much.
The point of the Lucrin is to suppress my FSH and LH production, so that my cycle can be controlled. Understanding how it works is very counter-intuitive though. Lucrin is a gonadotropin hormone releasing hormone agonist. This means that it has a similar action to GNRH. So when I take it, it actually causes FSH and LH to flare and be released. Increased FSH and LH in the blood then sends a message to my brain saying 'Stop!, which then causes GNRH to stop inducing FSH and LH. As long as I am taking it, the levels of those two hormones will stay low.
Taking Lucrin if I am actually pregnant this cycle isn't an issue either. This is because the corpus luteum resulting from ovulation is producing progesterone, and will keep doing so until either a new embryo starts directing progesterone production, or I get my period. Neither of those two outcomes need FSH or LH so they continue as normal.
I am still feeling very positive about TTC at the moment. I had a lovely long walk along the beach today - first warm day for the season and lots of people were about. Missing husband though - can't wait until he gets home on Tuesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hello from Australia, I am starting my first IVF cycle this month - took the first Provera this morning with Lucrin scheduled for the 29th of December. Reading your post on how to go about the injection is quite helpful! Reading that you had a healthy baby fills me with hope - thanks for the blog, lifts my spirits!
I've started my IVF cycle on the 29th July and I must say it really helps reading other people's experiences that gives you hope.
Hi there from South Africa, I am starting my first IVF today. I just want to ask a question. Why do they give you Lucrin if it is for cancer patience?
Post a Comment