Sunday, December 21, 2008
First class honours for our Day 3 embryos
After the (slight) let down of the fertilisation report on Thursday, I was cheered by our Day 3 embie report yesterday. Our 5 little ones are doing well - all at 8 cells, as they should be, but best news of all, are all Grade 1. The scale is good (G1), Fair (G2) and poor (G3).
Last IVF cycle, we only had Grade 2's, so this is a really good result. Also fantastic that none have arrested before Day 3. Let's hope they are continuing on their merry way.
Meanwhile, I've had my leg surgery. The sedative I had for egg collection paled in significance compared to the one they hit me with for cutting the chunk out of my leg. One minute I was chatting to the anaethesist as he put the IV needle in and then the next 45 minutes just vanished. I wasn't under general or asleep, just away with the fairies, literally!!
Anyway, I now have a very large indentation on my left calf with staples, and have been hobbling around ever since. I've also had some stomach aches, which I put down to all the codeine and opiates they pumped into me. Twice in two days is quite a bit and they are renowned for causing upset stomachs. It is all gone now though. I also took my first jab of Pregnyl on Friday night. I have to say I much prefer the injection to the nasty Crinone suppositories. Just goes to show how relaxed I am about injections these days.
After a day of lying on the sofa, I was well and trully over it so I went out for drinks with the girls on Friday night. Glad I did but I was a sight hobbling around the pub. I am also an alcohol-free zone now so that was a bit disappointing, since everyone had finished up work for the year and was in party mode - it was a great atmosphere. Here's hoping the teetotalling will go on for a few months yet.
No rest for the weary yesterday either. We went house-hunting since we are soon to be homeless. We actually found a place we are going to make an offer on. Fingers crossed it comes off because I've already mentally moved in and planned all the restoration and renovation that a crumbling old Victorian house might need. It's done wonders for taking my mind off the baby-making!
Tomorrow is embryo transfer. I've got a 'before and after' acupuncture session planned, which should be good for making me feel nice and relaxed. I think Dr D will recommend transferring just one embryo since they are looking so nice, and we think that's probably the way to go. Let's hope they are all still going strong in the morning.
Last night I talked on the phone to my old friend who I mentioned in earlier posts always greets me with 'Are you pregnant yet?' Sure enough, she didn't disappoint and predictably tutted about me getting another job, since that's her explanation for why I can't get pregnant. It was tempting to tell her to 'F... off'. I responded with my new line, borrowed from another TTC friend that 'I've got nothing to report'. Nice and neat, not a lie, and keeps all options open. Unfortunately for me, about 2o minutes later, as I was trying to end the conversation, this nice little exchange occurred:
She: 'But what about the babies - what's happening?'
Me: 'It's in hand and I really didn't like talking to people about it.'
She, in an accusing voice: 'But I'm not anyone, I'm your oldest friend. You have to tell me what's going on!!'
Me in a calm voice: 'No, I don't.'
She, in a kindly voice: 'Well, if it doesn't work, and you don't have any children, it just wasn't meant to be. If you are meant to have them, it will happen. If you need anything, I'm here to help.
Me: 'Yes, I know.'
So, I was overjoyed (not) at this little conversation. Its hard to conceive that people have the rudeness to ask at all, and then when told the subject is closed, to keep pushing. I wonder if this means she will back off?
Some might say that I am callous and should give her a chance to be supportive friend but I really want to choose the terms on which I talk, or don't talk, to people about my fertility problems. I feel that I've got the support I need from people who understand and the rest can just stay blissfully unaware.
Last IVF cycle, we only had Grade 2's, so this is a really good result. Also fantastic that none have arrested before Day 3. Let's hope they are continuing on their merry way.
Meanwhile, I've had my leg surgery. The sedative I had for egg collection paled in significance compared to the one they hit me with for cutting the chunk out of my leg. One minute I was chatting to the anaethesist as he put the IV needle in and then the next 45 minutes just vanished. I wasn't under general or asleep, just away with the fairies, literally!!
Anyway, I now have a very large indentation on my left calf with staples, and have been hobbling around ever since. I've also had some stomach aches, which I put down to all the codeine and opiates they pumped into me. Twice in two days is quite a bit and they are renowned for causing upset stomachs. It is all gone now though. I also took my first jab of Pregnyl on Friday night. I have to say I much prefer the injection to the nasty Crinone suppositories. Just goes to show how relaxed I am about injections these days.
After a day of lying on the sofa, I was well and trully over it so I went out for drinks with the girls on Friday night. Glad I did but I was a sight hobbling around the pub. I am also an alcohol-free zone now so that was a bit disappointing, since everyone had finished up work for the year and was in party mode - it was a great atmosphere. Here's hoping the teetotalling will go on for a few months yet.
No rest for the weary yesterday either. We went house-hunting since we are soon to be homeless. We actually found a place we are going to make an offer on. Fingers crossed it comes off because I've already mentally moved in and planned all the restoration and renovation that a crumbling old Victorian house might need. It's done wonders for taking my mind off the baby-making!
Tomorrow is embryo transfer. I've got a 'before and after' acupuncture session planned, which should be good for making me feel nice and relaxed. I think Dr D will recommend transferring just one embryo since they are looking so nice, and we think that's probably the way to go. Let's hope they are all still going strong in the morning.
Last night I talked on the phone to my old friend who I mentioned in earlier posts always greets me with 'Are you pregnant yet?' Sure enough, she didn't disappoint and predictably tutted about me getting another job, since that's her explanation for why I can't get pregnant. It was tempting to tell her to 'F... off'. I responded with my new line, borrowed from another TTC friend that 'I've got nothing to report'. Nice and neat, not a lie, and keeps all options open. Unfortunately for me, about 2o minutes later, as I was trying to end the conversation, this nice little exchange occurred:
She: 'But what about the babies - what's happening?'
Me: 'It's in hand and I really didn't like talking to people about it.'
She, in an accusing voice: 'But I'm not anyone, I'm your oldest friend. You have to tell me what's going on!!'
Me in a calm voice: 'No, I don't.'
She, in a kindly voice: 'Well, if it doesn't work, and you don't have any children, it just wasn't meant to be. If you are meant to have them, it will happen. If you need anything, I'm here to help.
Me: 'Yes, I know.'
So, I was overjoyed (not) at this little conversation. Its hard to conceive that people have the rudeness to ask at all, and then when told the subject is closed, to keep pushing. I wonder if this means she will back off?
Some might say that I am callous and should give her a chance to be supportive friend but I really want to choose the terms on which I talk, or don't talk, to people about my fertility problems. I feel that I've got the support I need from people who understand and the rest can just stay blissfully unaware.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment