Wednesday, December 17, 2008
IVF #2 - 15 eggs!!
I've been back from egg collection a few hours now. We did really well - 15 eggs and about 11 are probably mature. The process was exactly the same as last time only I was more relaxed and less worried about the pain. I did feel a bit of pain but nothing serious. I got worried that no eggs were coming out because the embryologist didn't mention that he had seen any. But all of a sudden he said 'We've got 5 from that side' so all was well.
It was also nice having Dr D do the collection as well. She seemed very assured and she said we had done very well. She thinks this time we have less eggs but they are higher quality. Certainly the ones we could see on the monitor looked very nice and round with the lovely starburst pattern around them.
The different thing with this cycle is that I've been given Pregnyl instead of Crinone to maintain the luteal phase and promote progesterone. I asked the nurse why this was and she said that its because I was hyperstimulated last time so they couldn't give me Pregnyl, which is hCG, and would have ramped up the estrogen even more. It will be nice not to use the awful Crinone gel again.
I apparently have to take one dose tomorrow and another the day after transfer. It is much more user-friendly but I will have to reconstitute it from glass ampoules, which will be a bit tricky. I think I can remember how to do it from my days working in the lab.
The only complication is that tomorrow I have my surgery on my leg and they have told me I can't eat or drink anything (even water!) from 11am onwards. So if I am taking the dose tomorrow, it will need to be before 11am.
I am feeling ok now but just had another burst of cramping. It was quite bad and worse than any period cramps I have had but it has passed now and hopefully will subside. I have also had a lot more bleeding compared with last time. Hopefully it means I will get it all out of the way today and have less bleeding in the next few days.
I am feeling very positive about this cycle. I think we will get great embryos and even Dr D must be thinking it is looking good because she mentioned only putting back one blast. Sounds very confident to me.
The only cloud on my horizon today is that we got a call as soon as we got back from the clinic that we have to move out of our rented house by the end of January. I am really disappointed because I really like living here and don't want to move. It might bring forward our plans to buy a place. There's a chance the landlord might sell and if he does, we might make an offer on this place. Anyway, I'm sure it will all sort itself out.
It was also nice having Dr D do the collection as well. She seemed very assured and she said we had done very well. She thinks this time we have less eggs but they are higher quality. Certainly the ones we could see on the monitor looked very nice and round with the lovely starburst pattern around them.
The different thing with this cycle is that I've been given Pregnyl instead of Crinone to maintain the luteal phase and promote progesterone. I asked the nurse why this was and she said that its because I was hyperstimulated last time so they couldn't give me Pregnyl, which is hCG, and would have ramped up the estrogen even more. It will be nice not to use the awful Crinone gel again.
I apparently have to take one dose tomorrow and another the day after transfer. It is much more user-friendly but I will have to reconstitute it from glass ampoules, which will be a bit tricky. I think I can remember how to do it from my days working in the lab.
The only complication is that tomorrow I have my surgery on my leg and they have told me I can't eat or drink anything (even water!) from 11am onwards. So if I am taking the dose tomorrow, it will need to be before 11am.
I am feeling ok now but just had another burst of cramping. It was quite bad and worse than any period cramps I have had but it has passed now and hopefully will subside. I have also had a lot more bleeding compared with last time. Hopefully it means I will get it all out of the way today and have less bleeding in the next few days.
I am feeling very positive about this cycle. I think we will get great embryos and even Dr D must be thinking it is looking good because she mentioned only putting back one blast. Sounds very confident to me.
The only cloud on my horizon today is that we got a call as soon as we got back from the clinic that we have to move out of our rented house by the end of January. I am really disappointed because I really like living here and don't want to move. It might bring forward our plans to buy a place. There's a chance the landlord might sell and if he does, we might make an offer on this place. Anyway, I'm sure it will all sort itself out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment