That girl's ticker

baby growth

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thanks to everyone out there in cyberspace

I just want to take a few minutes to say thank you to the people who take the time to read this blog.

It is incredibly heartening to know that people do read it, and especially when they comment that it helps them with their own IVF treatment or pregnancy. As I have said before, writing this blog helps me enormously and its great to know that it can help others as well. I also have got a lot from reading other people's blogs.

Thanks so much also to those who have offered me advice when I've been blogging about my various issues. A recent commenter gave me some advice about how to alleviate my hip pain with a pillow behind my back, and I will certainly be giving this a try.

I mentioned early on when I discovered I was pregnant that I would keep blogging here, even though we had been 'successful' with our IVF. Partly that was because its hard to find a time when you can draw a line under the IVF cycle and say it has worked.

Is it when you get the positive pregnancy result, or when you hear the baby's heartbeat at 7 weeks, or when you get through the first trimester, or when you have the 20 week scan, or when you hold your newborn baby?

By the time I knew it, the pregnancy was half over and I figured I might as well keep going. For me at least, the anxiety of whether we will end up with a baby at the end of all this has never completely gone away. That is in part because of the issues I've had with the pregnancy, but I also suspect its what IVF does to you.

If you've gone through more than one IVF cycle, you just have to condition yourself to disappointment and I think this carries over into the pregnancy as well. I don't think its a problem, and perhaps it is true of all pregnancies to some extent. At 34.5 weeks though, I am now pretty confident that we will be holding E3 in our arms very soon.

The other reason for continuing this blog beyond the pregnancy is because our IVF journey isn't over yet. We have three frosties waiting to be used and we are keen for another baby if we can. Perhaps we will even had another shot or two at a fresh IVF cycle.

So the post-baby blogging will probably be mainly about being a new mother, but it will also be about how we can manage more IVF cycles soon after this pregnancy, what with breast feeding and getting my cycle back to normal.

I'm not expecting that motherhood will be so horrendous that we will be put off for long in trying for another bub :-)

Its just a question of whether my body can handle another pregnancy in terms of hormone levels, and carrying another one so soon after this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please keep the blog going once the bub arrives - I find it very insightful and informative. From an expectant first time father via IVF.