That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Cautious optimism

Cautiously optimistic is how I'm feeling after today's ultrasound. I'd say the doctor is feeling outright optimistic.

I had Dr G, the sonographer and the ultrasound office doctor at my scan today. They once again saw that the top left of the endometrium looked a bit odd but they concluded that the round 'hole' they could see is the spot where the retained placenta was removed and the endometrium just hasn't grown over it. They thought the fuzzy stuff around the black hole was probably just a build-up of tissue around the area where the placenta was removed.

So Dr G said he didn't see any reason why I wouldn't put embryos back into my uterus now. Needless to say, this was good news but since I've been there before with this, I'm just cautious about being too optimistic. I won't rest easy until we've got a biopsy definitively showing that there's no more placenta there at all. Dr D will do that when I have the egg pick-up for this cycle, so we should know next week if I am finally free of the damned placenta.

As for the IVF cycle, well its progressing ok but for the fact that the lining is very thin. I don't think they actually measured it but it was probably around 5mm, similar to what they saw on Wednesday. They couldn't give me any explanation for it, and didn't think it was related to my advanced age. Hopefully it will catch up in the coming days, or at least not be a problem next time around.

Dr G said in light of the patch where the endometrium hasn't grown over, and the thin lining, I should freeze all the embryos this time around. That was the plan anyway, so there's no change there.

As for the follicles, still doing very well. The numbers are:

Right side - 5; 18 mm, 16 mm, 12 mm, two <>
Left side - 9; 18 mm, 14 mm x2, 10-11 mm x3, three <>

They are not quite as large as they were at this stage compared with my first two cycles, but all in all, doing pretty well. My next blood test and ultrasound is on Saturday, which is a relief because its so much easier to manage logistically. So egg pick-up won't be on Sunday, so we let one babysitter off the hook, and put our Monday babysitter on notice.

Today my line manager gave me a really hard time about taking time off on a Thursday morning (our busiest day of the week). I said I had no choice about when the appointment would be, but I was devastated to hear this criticism. She said last time I had a doctors appointment on a Thursday, the 'powers that be' were not happy with me. I am just so upset that they have so little faith in me that they think I am deliberately scheduling my appointments at our busiest time. I pointed out that the person who gets most affected by it is me, because I still have to meet the same deadlines but with less time and more stress. I am just really gutted that they are taking this attitude.

When I was in the ultrasound office, the girl before me was asking for a plain envelope to put her results in so that no-one at work would recognise the ultrasound logo and work out that (I assume) she was pregnant. Its so sad that in this day and age, employers are still casting suspicion on women when they have doctors appointments and we have to skulk around being secretive about everything. Lovely husband thinks I should come clean and explain all the problems I've been having so they feel shamed and more accomodating about how they are treating me.

Anyway, that's my rant. So I end today feeling more positive than I have in weeks but trying not to get my hopes up too much until we have certain proof the placenta is really gone.

No comments: