That girl's ticker

baby growth

Monday, March 14, 2011

I screwed up

Last night, there I was, reading up on how to inject Gonal-f, got it and the Lucrin out of the fridge to warm up, then jabbed myself with 10 units of Lucrin and 300 units of Gonal-f.

As soon as I'd done it, I suddenly remembered that I wasn't supposed to be starting Gonal-f until today - whoops!!!!!

After the initial sinking feeling, I realised it probably wasn't going to be dangerous because I will be injecting both drugs together for the rest of the cycle, so it can't be unsafe. But then I had to wonder whether it would screw up my hormone levels and ruin the cycle.

According to my googling last night, the Lucrin flare cycle is used in low responders to get an initial high production of LH and FSH. This primes the follicles so they can respond to FSH better. The high levels cause a negative feedback loop that then down-regulates both of them. The continued dose of Lucrin should then keep the LH level down so that I don't accidentally ovulate the eggs from the follicles.

So I reckoned that probably the effect of a Gonal-f dose a day early was mainly that it would be wasted because my follicles aren't ready to respond yet.

When I called the nurse this morning, she said not to worry about it. It wasn't a big deal at all - whew!!! I breathed a big sigh of relief. I couldn't believe I'd screwed up the injections on the very first day!

My first two IVF cycles I cruised through both of them with no mishaps at all. Maybe I am a bit complacent about this cycle. I really am not assuming it will work, and if it does, that it won't yield many embryos.

Anyway, feeling fine so far but I guess the symptoms of ovaries being stimulated so much are a few days away yet.

No comments: