That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, March 19, 2009

5 weeks and still hanging in there

Well, its now actually 5 weeks and 2 days and I still appear to be pregnant. I decided to go ahead and do the pregnancy monitoring and I had my first blood test yesterday. It was great news!! My bhCG level was 3144 and porgesterone was 59.

I had calculated that if the bhCG was doubling every 48 hours as expected, the level should have been 2752, so this is a great result!

I had a look at what hCG is actually doing and its role is to keep the corpus luteum producing progesterone. It also apparently repel the mother's immune cells to protect the baby. I'm not sure if the drop in progesterone levels is a problem but the nurse didn't seem to think so. I guess it could be because I stopped taking the progesterone pessaries.

The only thing that's not so great is that the dreaded spotting has started again. Its very, very light and really hardly noticable but still there. It always fills my heart with dread but maybe it is fine. Perhaps it is just the embryo/s making space for themselves. It certainly isn't fresh blood, so apparently nothing to worry about but god, I wish I could live without it. It is just so depressing.

On the whole, I am doing ok. I think I'm on an even keel as far as not feeling too positive or too negative. Hopefully I can maintain some balance so I don't go completely crazy!

No comments: