That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Babysitters

This week I have started the process of looking for a babysitter for Zoe. We don't have any family in Sydney to call on to help us out, and most of our friends don't have kids and not much free time on their hands.

I've been using the Findababysitter site and so far its working well. I am looking for someone to call on for Friday and Saturday nights and also casual hours during the week once I start some freelance work.

We are meeting the first candidates this weekend.

Its all a bit daunting really - leaving Zoe with a stranger for the first time. But all of the people we are seeing have police checks and lots of experience with kids, with referees to back them up. We can't do more than that and its not realistic to think we can go on forever with her never being minded by anyone but us.

I think back to when I babysat when I was a teenager. The families I sat for trusted me, and I think I was trustworthy. So were my friends. So on the whole, most people will be fine but still, there's that very small chance that something will go wrong. But then our life as parents will be full of those moments so we need to get used to trusting other people with her.

As for routine, its going like clockwork at the moment, at least at night. Bed at 7pm, dream feed at 10.30pm and then sleep all night until I feed her at 7am - bliss.

She is actually waking at night but she doesn't make any noise and puts herself back to sleep. Last night I woke up at 3.30am to go to the toilet and I went down to check on her. She was awake and sucking her thumb but in that half asleep phase before she nods off.

Teaching her to self-settle is by far the best thing we have achieved so far.

No comments: