Wednesday, March 3, 2010
The little shrimp
Yesterday I took Zoe to her first swimming class. It went much better than I expected. It was only 5 mins before the end of the 30 minute class that she started to get sick of it and cry.
She was fine with everything we did and surprised me with how unconcerned she was by it all. It helped that the swimming centre is so well geared up for kids classes. The pool is really warm - about 30 deg C I think, and there is a ramp so you can walk into the pool with the wee ones, rather than having to negotiate stairs.
The class itself is really lots of games and songs, designed to get them used to being in water. We got them to float on their backs and tummys and pulled them along by the shoulders. The aim was for them to get used to kicking. Zoe of course doesn't know how to kick yet, at least not voluntarily, so I just towed her along anyway. She seemed fine with it.
When she's in new situations, she just looks around with a contempative gaze on her face, as if she is sizing things up. So she doesn't get upset or cross, but nor does she smile. She just takes it all in, working out how she feels about it.
I wonder if this is an early insight into her character. I really believe that our personalities are set from conception and not much can change that. If her behaviour so far is anything to go by, she looks like being quite a relaxed and laid back little girl.
I've just put her to bed after she's been lying on her play mat for a while. She was making the most wonderful gurgling and squealing noises, like she really wants to talk. She now looks for me as I walk around the room, and gives me the most gorgeous open smile when I come into view. Her grandparents reckon that the smile she gives LH and I is different from the one she gives everyone else.
Its a real cliche, but these moments really make the hard and endless slog of feeding, nappies and sleepless nights so worth it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment