Thursday, March 25, 2010
No more weight issues
Yesterday I had Zoe weighed and measured for her 5 month old birthday. She weighs 6.66 kg and is 65.6 cm long. So she's just under the 50th percentile for weight and on the 75th percentile for height.
This is exactly the same proportions she was at 4 months, and also at birth so I think she's settled into her body shape now. Maybe she will gain more weight for her height with solid food but we are giving her about as much food as she can handle now so we can't really force her to gain more weigh than she wants to.
So we don't have to worry any more about the dreaded weight gain. When I think about all the anxst we went through in the early days, it all seems so long ago.
She's really starting to get the hang of eating now. Yesterday I gave her rice cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner and she ate it all really well. She still let's some of it fall out of her mouth because she forgets to swallow but now most of it is going down and I can see her actively chewing and swallowing. She seems to really like it and thinks the whole thing is a great joke.
Its a messy business though. At least some of it falls out of her mouth and she seems to think its a good idea to blow raspberries while she's being fed, so she sprays some of it all over herself and me :-)
She is also keen to get her hands on the spoon to stick it in herself but that's hopeless. The one time I let her have the spoon she stuck it into too far and gagged on it. So I spend all the time trying to bat her hand out of the way so I can get the spoon into her mouth, and she spends all her time trying to grab the spoon so she can do it herself.
Its all very good fun.
Today we will try some apple at lunchtime. I cooked up one this morning all ready to go. There's lots of books and stuff out there about how to prepare baby food but its pretty simple at this stage. I just peeled and cored the apple, cut it into pieces and put it in our vege microwave dish. It has a basket sitting over another bowl that you put a small amount of water in so that it steams.
Then I pureed the apple in this little stainless steel food mill I bought the other week. Its like a Moulinex but smaller. I didn't want to be messing about with the food processor for such small amounts and the Moulinex was quite big. This one just let's me do one piece of fruit or vege at a time, and its easy to wash.
I'll mix the apple with some rice cereal and see how she goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment