Sunday, March 21, 2010
Our little girl is growing up
We are having a few 'firsts' with Zoe this weekend. Last night she slept in her new cot for the first time. Until now, she's been in a bassinet. Some of the mothers in my mothers group wondered if she would fuss because it was something different.
It hadn't actually occurred to me that this would even happen. But of course, Zoe being Zoe, she took to it like she'd always had so much space in bed! She can't touch the sides of the bed any more, like she could in the bassinet, but it didn't seem to bother her. She went off to sleep just as well as always.
She looks so sweet and small in the big cot and I can't imagine her growing out of it. It is one of those that turns into a toddler bed so we should be able to use it for ages. We got it from Target - only cost $350, bargain.
I did what I always do when needing to buy new baby equipment. I checked out the Choice report and they recommended 4 cots. The Target one was the cheapest. It's so much easier doing it that way because we don't spend loads more than we need to. The next one we have to get is the high chair, and as usual, the choice is completely overwhelming.
Today was another first because Zoe had her first taste of solid food. I wasn't going to start her on solids until five and a half weeks but the last few days she has been gulping down all of her bottles and leaving none. She's now on 5 bottles of 210 mls.
The obvious question is, why don't I just give her more milk? But she's on the maximum amount recommended on the formula tin, and is also getting quite a bit more than the amount you can calculate (ie. 150 ml per kg per 24 hours, or 120 ml according to some sources). And since it was almost time to start solids anyway, we decided to jump in.
LH got it into his head that Zoe's first solid meal should be home made. So rather than buying a box of rice cereal like most sane people do, he insisted on making it instead. It wasn't hard - he just took a cup of rice and grinded it up in the blender to make a powder. Then he boiled it with some formula and it was done. It was pretty glutinous though, so I had to mix a small amount again with formula to get it nice and runny.
Anyway, I went out and bought some baby feeding spoons and the big moment arrived (captured on the camcorder of course). She took to it better than I expected. The first mouthful, about half of it came back out again, and she was running it around her tongue and not swallowing. But most of the next few mouthfuls went down I think.
She responded like she does to all new things - with a little puzzled look on her face, as if to say 'What's this all about?' and then got on with it. She particularly liked me putting the spoon in her mouth because she likes sucking on things so much.
So another milestone achieved, and I realise more and more that the baby stage is just so fleeting that we really have to savour every moment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment