That girl's ticker

baby growth

Sunday, March 14, 2010

The easy-going girl

Our little girl is an angel. Not that I'm biased or anything, but she really is. We are now putting her to bed at 7 pm, then dream feed at 10.30 pm and she sleeps until about 6.30am and I feed her again at 7am.

We are just so lucky because so many of the other mothers I talk to are still feeding in the middle of the night. Not sure what the secret is but I think it just depends on the baby itself. Zoe has never really demanded feeding. That's not to say she doesn't cry, but it's restricted to when she's tired, not when she's hungry.

In the mornings, she lies in her cot and waves her legs around in the air and plays with them. I go in to get her at 7am and she looks up and gives me a big smile. There's no way that she isn't hungry by then (at least 8 hours without food) but for some reason she doesn't cry out about it. When she does get the breast and bottle, she wolfs it down, so she is hungry. Feed times are done because its time, not because she demands it. We are now down to two breast feeds a day (7 am and 6 pm) and 5 bottles.

It will be very interesting to see how she goes with solids. I hope that her apparent lack of interest in demanding food doesn't extend to rejecting solids. We will start in about 4 weeks, when she is 5.5 months old.

Today we went out for lunch with friends. She had a chat to everyone, then into the pram and off to sleep for 45 mins or so, then up for her bottle. All in all, very easy and we had a lovely lunch.

The time is coming when it will all get a bit harder once she gets more mobile. At the moment, she can roll from tummy to back, but she's still trying to master back to tummy. She's at the point where she can get most of her body over but isn't sure what to do about her bottom arm. She gets a bit frustrated about it, so I don't think it will be long before she's over and rolling around the place. Already, when I put her down on the floor, she ends up in quite a different place after a while. I need to enjoy the time when I can leave her to play and not worry about her escaping while I'm out of eye sight.

No comments: