Saturday, June 4, 2011
My (non-professional) opinion
I'm wondering if perhaps I might have an ovarian cyst. There's a few reasons why.
I've got this dull ache on my right side about where my ovary would be. Its not very painful and its coming and going but its been there for about 24 hours now.
Secondly, ovarian cysts are known to delay a period coming on, which is certainly my problem. And thirdly, they often happen after IVF treatment.
Ovarian cysts are pretty common and not very worrying, from what I can gather. They grown during the cycle, either from a follicle that doesn't burst and ovulate, or from the corpus luteum that keeps growing and doesn't involute.
The solution is usually birth control pills to regulate the hormones and apparently make them shrink. Occasionally they can burst but usually they just disappear on their own.
If this is what's happening, then I am actually a bit relieved. I was starting to get worried that I've got some problem with my endometrium as a result of all the surgery. Either that it wasn't thickening up properly, or that the scarring has somehow damaged the uterus.
But if the problem is my ovaries, I find that a lot less worrying. The pill can straighten out the hormones and get everything back on track.
So my plan now is to call the clinic in the morning and let them I am definitely coming in for a blood test on Monday. I am really certain I won't get my period before then. Once I get the results, I'll talk to Dr D about how I've been feeling and see if she can work out what is happening.
I could be completely wrong, but I do feel much calmer about it all. I've been feeling totally crushed by yet another problem that's stopping us from finishing off these last two frozen cycles. In July it will be a year since we started again with what I thought was going to be a three month process.
Whatever is going on, I'm sure we are in for another two or three week delay at least and then we will again have to wait another month while we are away in August. Let's hope I get some sort of resolution on Monday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think what you describe sounds very much like an ovarian cyst. I have had them a number of times in the past (years ago), and was put on the pill to stop ovulation. An alternative is puncturing it. When AF kicks in it might disappear all by itself anyway, mine always did.
I remember the pain not being to bad, but constant - I could feel it on the ovary all the time.
Thanks for your words on the loss of my baby at 8+5, they did make me feel better and I agree - getting an implantation and a heartbeat shows that things are working. I have two frozen embroyos and am waiting for my period so I can get started with the cryo-cycle. Fingers crossed for both of us!
J.
Post a Comment