Tuesday, June 7, 2011
A totally unexpected outcome
Today I had an ultrasound and blood test to work out what was happening with my cycle. The ultrasound showed I had one dominant follicle on the left side measuring about 17 mm. The endometrial lining was 6.2mm and there was some fuzziness around the edges of the endometrial stripe. The sonographer said this would be calcification from all my surgery. The 'hole' we saw last time wasn't there though, so that was good news.
When the nurse called, she said my bloods showed I have ovulated today. Oestrogen was over 1000, progesterone was starting to go up at 3.5 (it was 0.6 yesterday) and LH was through the roof at 22. So the inevitable conclusion from all of this was that I've ovulated.
This was good news and means the ovarian cyst has finally ovulated itself and will now go away. The nurse said that since we had fortuitously pinpointed ovulation, there was no reason why we shouldn't go ahead and do an embryo transfer in 5 days.
I really didn't see that one coming and its good news I think. I asked did it matter that I hadn't had a period for about 6 weeks and she said no, once the lining was laid down, it didn't 'age'. If I'd gone 3 months without a period, they would have let me go on to have one before doing a transfer but this length of time is apparently fine.
That only leaves the lining. At 6.2mm, it scrapes in to the lower limit of 6mm and is about what I've had in the past anyway. The fuzzy stuff around the bottom does worry me a bit, but both the doctor monitoring this cycle and the doctors who had a good look at it on ultrasound in March don't seem to think its a problem.
I can't believe that after all this hassle, it looks like we are about to have lift-off - finally!! As long as LH agrees to it of course - he flew back to Melb this morning and was in-transit when I called to talk to him about it. Hopefully he will agree we should go ahead. And we will now probably manage to do our final two cycles before we go away in August - happy days!
And I'm pretty stoked that this will be a natural cycle, as we had when Zoe was conceived. I wasn't so keen on the medicated frozen cycle, if only because it wasn't what we did last time. So to have pinpointed my day of ovulation completely by accident seems to be a real stroke of good luck. If I had called the clinic a day later, or they had got me back for a blood test tomorrow instead of day, we might have missed it. And last but not least, the transfer would be on Sunday, so not interfering with work or when LH is away.
Hopefully this completely unexpected stroke of good luck will be a good omen for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's fantastic news - good luck for the transfer! :-)
J.
Post a Comment