That girl's ticker

baby growth

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Moving on

I've amazed myself how quickly I've put the failed frozen cycle behind me and stopped thinking about IVF for now. I was a bit sad last night that it hadn't worked but I'm fine today and my mind is on other things.

The tricky thing now is just how to get the next cycle started. At first, the nurse said she'd send me a script for Provera, which is a synthetic progesterone designed to imitate pregnancy and then cause a bleed when it is stopped. That sounded fine but yesterday afternoon I started thinking about what would happen if my period showed up before I started taking it. This is possible because I wasn't going to start until mid next week so that we are ready for the first blood tests after we get back from holidays. I've got absolutely no idea when I would expect to have a period given I haven't ovulated but it seems with my body, anything is possible.

So I called the nurses back and discussed this with them. They said its not wise to take Provera for more than the 10 days they instructed, so the alternative is that I take the contraceptive pill for 16 days and then start the 10 days of oestrogen when my period comes.

This sounds like a much better plan and means I won't have to risk my period starting before I manage to block it with the medication. But yesterday I was still keen to get started as soon as possible so we can get the cycle done before I go back to work. That depends on when the script arrives in the mail. It didn't turn up today, so maybe tomorrow.

But today I am much more chilled out about it and really, it just doesn't matter if there's a delay before we get started. We are going to run into the usual problem of managing IVF and having a life though. We are going to Melbourne at the end of August for my sister's 40th birthday, so I'm hoping we won't be needing a blood test or ultrasound that weekend. I've decided to just wait and see what happens and change our flights if we need to.

The other thing I have no control over is how long after stopping the pill it will take for my period to arrive. When I used to take it pre-IVF, there would usually be a delay of 3-4 days so I'm trying to factor that in as well.

And another minor consideration is that I think taking the pill may be cheaper than Provera but I might be wrong about that. Also on the subject of money, the clinic called this morning to confirm the cost of the cancelled cycle. It is about $700, which is what I was expecting. The bonus though is that it is covered by Medicare. I'm really not sure why this is but I'm not arguing with it. The cancellation was for medical reasons so we are lucky it was that and not just logistics of going away on holidays.

So roll on the next cycle. Since we will be away for the first half, it come around fast. Yet again, I'm so grateful we have Zoe now and all of this stuff is just much easier to bear.

No comments: